Math Courses to Understand General Relativity (by Sean Carroll)

In summary, the suggested math prerequisites for understanding the mathematics involved in Sean Carroll's book on general relativity include differential geometry, topology, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. However, the author also suggests that strong familiarity with tensors, manifolds, charts, and atlases may be sufficient. A formal course in differential geometry or topology may not be necessary, and a graduate-level course in mathematical physics may be helpful. Hartle's book on general relativity is also recommended for its more practical approach and lower mathematics prerequisites.
AhmedHesham
Hi.
What are the math courses should I take in order to understand the mathematics involved in a book such as Sean Carroll in general relativity.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential geometry (and topology). See e.g. Nakahara's textbook.

The typical GR textbook (including Carroll) will go through the basics of differential geometry. In order to understand this you will need a good understanding of linear algebra and multivariable calculus.

Thanks for replying

No prerequisites. If you believe the preface of the book. Carroll writes in the preface, exposure to Lagrangian Mechanics and electromagnetism and linear algebra would be helpful but this is developed as we go along.

I am currently reading the book too, and I have quite strong background, clearly above the stated prerequisites and I find it tough sledding.

If I were to suggest math prerequisites, I would state them as strong familiarity with tensors. Exposure to manifolds, charts, atlases would be useful. When I state "strong familiarity", I mean, that a formal differential geometry course, or topology course from a math department, might be overkill. In addition, math departments emphasize theory in such a way it takes away from the physics (in my experience). You probably do not need that. A good course in mathematical physics at the graduate level is probably necessary though.

I have seen Hartle's book on general relativity highly recommended. I think his approach is more workmanlike and less theoretical, and with less mathematics prerequisites.

Likes AhmedHesham
mpresic3 said:
No prerequisites. If you believe the preface of the book. Carroll writes in the preface, exposure to Lagrangian Mechanics and electromagnetism and linear algebra would be helpful but this is developed as we go along.

I am currently reading the book too, and I have quite strong background, clearly above the stated prerequisites and I find it tough sledding.

If I were to suggest math prerequisites, I would state them as strong familiarity with tensors. Exposure to manifolds, charts, atlases would be useful. When I state "strong familiarity", I mean, that a formal differential geometry course, or topology course from a math department, might be overkill. In addition, math departments emphasize theory in such a way it takes away from the physics (in my experience). You probably do not need that. A good course in mathematical physics at the graduate level is probably necessary though.

I have seen Hartle's book on general relativity highly recommended. I think his approach is more workmanlike and less theoretical, and with less mathematics prerequisites.
OK. Thanks.

Related to Math Courses to Understand General Relativity (by Sean Carroll)

1. What is the purpose of taking math courses to understand general relativity?

The purpose of taking math courses to understand general relativity is to gain a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts and principles that underlie this complex theory. General relativity is a mathematical theory, so a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to fully comprehend its implications and applications.

2. What specific math courses are recommended for understanding general relativity?

Some recommended math courses for understanding general relativity include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and tensor calculus. These courses cover key mathematical concepts such as derivatives, matrices, vector spaces, and tensors that are crucial for understanding general relativity.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand general relativity?

While a strong background in math is definitely helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for understanding general relativity. However, it is important to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts and to be willing to put in the time and effort to learn the necessary math skills.

4. How can taking math courses improve my understanding of general relativity?

Taking math courses can improve your understanding of general relativity by providing you with the necessary tools and techniques to solve complex mathematical problems and equations. This will allow you to better understand the underlying principles of general relativity and how they relate to the physical world.

5. Are there any online resources or materials available for learning the necessary math for general relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources and materials available for learning the necessary math for general relativity. Some popular options include online courses, video lectures, textbooks, and interactive tutorials. It is important to choose a resource that best fits your learning style and level of understanding.