Math courses for next semester.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lie Algebra, which is a type of algebra that has a special product and certain properties. It is closely related to Lie groups, which are manifolds with a tangent space that can be uniquely defined as a Lie algebra. The study of Lie algebras can provide insight into the structure of Lie groups. There are many standard results and techniques for classifying Lie algebras, such as the use of Dynkin diagrams. The conversation also mentions the option of studying mathematical logic as an independent study, which may be useful for understanding the foundations of mathematics. In terms of practical application, Lie groups and algebras are often used in physics and quantum mechanics due to their connection to symmetry.
gravenewworld
Can someone please tell me what Lie Algebra is all about in a simple manner, I am not a PhD mathematician. I am trying to decide what I should do my independent study on next semester. I was thinking of studying an introduction to Lie Algebra or Mathematical Logic. Which of the two would be better to study? Any recommendations? Which branch is used more? Opinions? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First of all a Lie algebra is an algebra. That is it is a vector space with a product. The product is a special kind often represented by a bracket [x,y], which takes two vectors and spits out another vector. And it has the key property that [x,y] = -[y,x] for all x and y. So the Lie algebras are all anticommutative. Another property the product has is the Jacobi identity: [x,[y,z]] + [y,[z,x]] + [z,[x,y]] = 0.

Lie algebras arise from Lie groups. Every Lie group is a manifold and it has a tangent space. And the local tangent space (the fiber) over the group identity is uniquely defined as a Lie algebra. The tangent space is spanned by a set of basis vectors [tex]X^a[/tex] and the product is given by [tex][X^a,X^b] = f^{ab}_cX^c[/tex], where the f 's are numbers determined by the group. By studying the Lie algebra you can find out things about the group. Often in physical situations where they have a group (such as a gauge group), they find it easier to work with the Lie algebra.

Lots of standard results about which common Lie groups have which Lie algebras. The group only has one Lie algebra, but the same Lie algebra can come from more than one group.

A lot of any course in Lie algebras consists of ways to classify them. This gets into Dynkin diagrams which are almost magical in some ways - John Baez just loves them - but which I am NOT going to get into here!

Maybe I should say I'm planning to do set theory as directed studies (there's no regular course on that) next term because it's close to the foundations. That is, stuff like Zorn's lemma (& its equivalents) are used all throughout analysis, algebra, etc; Dedekind cuts & transfinite arithmetic, etc have been mentioned in courses up to this point also, so I think it would be good to do some of that stuff too. I think it would really help me because sets are so fundamental to those areas. Now guess which course, out of mathematical logic or Lie algebras, I'd pick if I had to pick only one... :wink:

I'm more interested in pure math though; if you're more interested in applied math or physics I would say Lie groups/algebras over mathematical logic since Lie groups/algebras are used a lot in quantum mechanics. (from what I've heard; I think it has something to do with symmetry)

Last edited:

Related to Math courses for next semester.

1. What are the prerequisites for these math courses?

The prerequisites for math courses may vary depending on the specific course and the institution. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course description for the prerequisites.

2. Are there any required textbooks for these courses?

Again, required textbooks may vary depending on the course and institution. Some courses may have specific textbooks listed in the course description or syllabus, while others may require you to purchase a textbook on your own. It is best to check with the professor teaching the course for specific textbook requirements.

3. How many credits are these math courses worth?

The number of credits for math courses may vary depending on the institution and the level of the course. Typically, lower level math courses are worth 3 credits, while upper level courses may be worth 4 or 5 credits. It is best to check with your academic advisor for the specific credit value of the course.

4. Can I take these math courses if I am not a math major?

Most institutions allow students to take math courses even if they are not majoring in math. However, some courses may have prerequisites or restrictions for non-majors. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the math department for any restrictions.

5. Will there be any hands-on or practical components in these math courses?

This may depend on the specific course and instructor. Some math courses may have practical components such as labs or group projects, while others may be more theoretical. It is best to check with the professor teaching the course for more information about the course structure and components.