Math and Science Movies and TV Shows

In summary: Nowhere in Africa is a great movie with math in it too.In summary, the conversation discusses movies and TV shows with science as a theme, particularly those that are realistic fiction rather than science fiction. Some examples mentioned include "Infinity" about Richard Feynman, "Pi" about chaos theory, "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash and game theory, "IQ" which features Einstein as a character in a love story, and "Numb3rs" which follows a math genius solving crimes. Some participants also mention other shows and movies with science themes, such as "Apollo 13," "The Core," "Dante's Peak," and "Young Einstein." The conversation also touches on educational science
Moonbear said:
Like when he plugged a hole in a tank of sulfuric acid with candy bars...the resultant crusty black gunk is what you get when you mix sugar and sulfuric acid...not so sure it would keep a hole plugged since it's pretty porous, and don't think it would withstand much pressure behind it, but anyone who got past 7th grade science class knows how cool that reaction is to watch!
I never saw this—apparently I had a deficient 7th grade science teacher... :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Devoid of veracity though it may be, I enjoyed Pi a lot. It overflowed with genuine enthusiasm for its source material. We should be so lucky as to live in a society where everyone holds the sort of passion for the mystique of mathematics that was shown in Pi.

A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13 were both enjoyable movies in my book, too. Numb3rs, on the other hand, is an abysmal series that is inaccurate to the point of being wantonly offensive to the viewer's intelligence, and is written, directed, casted, and acted so poorly that is is completely unenjoyable even as a pulp crime drama, disregarding the math gimmick.

Nobody has mentioned Enigma yet. That's probably for the best.

I have two movie comments that have nothing to do with math or science about two movies that have nothing to do with math or science.
1) Every single time the mentally retarded guy in "Anchorman" opens his mouth I laugh.
2"50 First Dates" is a chick flick, but I must be feeling feminine because I liked it. My comment about it is: the ending is great and the ukelele version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is perfect.

tribdog said:
I have two movie comments that have nothing to do with math or science about two movies that have nothing to do with math or science.
1) Every single time the mentally retarded guy in "Anchorman" opens his mouth I laugh.
2"50 First Dates" is a chick flick, but I must be feeling feminine because I liked it. My comment about it is: the ending is great and the ukelele version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is perfect.

Tribdog's been neutered.

Dang it Moonbear!

franznietzsche said:
Tribdog's been neutered.

Dang it Moonbear!

Yeah, I know. I think it was my fault. :redface: He broke himself and someone told me to fix him, and before any of us realized what was going on, there were two new jars next to the pickled onions. Oh, wait, I have to get back to the Suggestion Box and warn them that those aren't fava beans! I shouldn't drink and bake.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I know. I think it was my fault. :redface: He broke himself and someone told me to fix him, and before any of us realized what was going on, there were two new jars next to the pickled onions. Oh, wait, I have to get back to the Suggestion Box and warn them that those aren't fava beans! I shouldn't drink and bake.

DANG IT!

THATS SO NOT COOL.

these aren't fava beans. They taste like fava beans.
I'm lying I don't know what fava beans taste like. I've never eaten fava beans. but I have eaten testicles. weird huh?

tribdog said:
these aren't fava beans. They taste like fava beans.
I'm lying I don't know what fava beans taste like. I've never eaten fava beans. but I have eaten testicles. weird huh?

I don't even know what a fava bean is. Though, as I think about it, that probably wasn't a very flattering comparison, was it? :blushing:

fava beans aren't the same thing as Kiwi Fruit? maybe it was an insult.

Yep, I think it's an insult now that I had to look up what a fava bean is.
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/favabean.html

Scarey little beans, aren't they?

Favism

Favism is an inherited disorder of certain individuals, particularly of southern European origin. These people have an enzyme deficiency expressed when fava beans are eaten, especially raw or partially cooked. Symptoms commonly include acute toxic hepatitis and those similar to influenza. Males are more commonly affected than females; mortality is almost entirely confined to children. Fava plant pollen in the respiratory tract also affects these people.

Last edited by a moderator: