Math and ME double major, math course selection

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering and math double major at a state university who plans on taking all computational and modeling courses offered by their small math department. They are considering taking graduate level courses in real and complex analysis, but are unsure if it would be beneficial to their engineering career. They believe that all math and physics courses can be useful for engineering students and are seeking advice from others.
anonymity
I am a mechanical engineering and math double major at a state-university, and as far as math goes am mostly focusing on math that can be applied to the fields of engineering (specifically mechanical and nuclear).

I am going to be finished with all of the undergrad differential equations sequences my school offers after the coming school year is completed (end of my sophomore year). My school offers graduate level applied math and differential equations courses, as well as undergrad level computational math/modeling courses. I plan on taking all of the computational/modeling/numerical analysis courses (fairly small math dept.), and maybe a grad level course or two, but my real question has to do with real and complex analysis.

Is this something that is worth taking, for someone like me, with my (rough) plans in mind?

Everything that I have *READ* basically says that analysis is entirely pure mathematics, and has no applications. I don't really believe that this is fully true (for starters, because I know for a fact that theoretical physicists use proof-based math all the time), and was wondering if you guys could help me decide whether or not these courses (intro to proof based real and complex analysis) would be a waste of my time (our math program basically let's you pick whatever courses you want to take,they require a few basics, like linear algebra and an intro proof course, but it's pretty lenient). I will also talk to my adviser, but would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks =D

edit/ps:

I added an edit, but it was just a few sentences of my bias inclination, so i took it out. =0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel that there are very few math or physics courses that do not benefit engineering students in some way. Having said that, I would assign the applied math, numercical & modeling courses a higher priority than ones based on proofs.

Related to Math and ME double major, math course selection

1. What are the requirements for a double major in Math and ME?

The specific requirements for a double major in Math and ME will vary depending on the university or institution you are attending. However, in general, you will need to complete all required courses for both majors, which may include core courses, electives, and upper-level courses. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to understand the specific requirements for your program.

2. How do I choose which math courses to take for my double major?

When selecting math courses for your double major, it is important to consider both your interests and the requirements of your program. Some courses may be required for your major, while others may be electives. It is also important to consider the level of difficulty and your current skill level in math. Your academic advisor can also provide guidance on which courses may be most beneficial for your academic and career goals.

3. Can I take courses in both math and ME at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to take courses in both math and ME simultaneously. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule and make sure you are able to balance the workload of both majors. Some courses may also have prerequisites, so it is important to plan ahead to ensure you are able to take the courses you need.

4. Are there any specific math courses that are recommended for ME majors?

There are no specific math courses that are recommended for ME majors, as the courses you take will depend on your specific program and interests. However, some common math courses for ME majors include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

5. What can I do with a double major in Math and ME?

A double major in Math and ME can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, data analysis, finance, and more. The combination of analytical and problem-solving skills from math and the technical knowledge from ME can make you a valuable candidate for many industries. It is important to research and explore potential career paths to find the best fit for your interests and skills.