Materials to read on global warming

In summary, as a physicist, the best resources for learning about global warming would be scientific journals, reputable websites such as AAAS and IPCC, and books written by experts in the field. It is important to be cautious of non-scientific sources when seeking information on this topic.
Enjolras1789
I am a solid state physicist. I feel bad that I know nothing about global warming (in terms of the details: what experiments have been done, what models exist, key papers, what, if any, real controversy there is).

What resources would be recommended? What papers, books, websites? It is hard to do this oneself without being deluged with the political aspect of all this, and at a level targeted for a physicist.

I apologize if this is an inappropriate forum for this question; no other sub-division seemed most relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best resources for getting up to speed on global warming as a physicist would be scientific journals and reputable websites that are dedicated to science-based information on the topic. The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is a great place to start, as they have a variety of materials related to climate change. Additionally, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) produces regularly updated reports on the current state of climate science, which include detailed descriptions of experiments and models related to global warming. In terms of books and other publications, some excellent options include "The Physics of Climate" by William D. Phillips, "The Global Warming Reader" edited by Bill McKibben, and "Climate Change: What Everyone Needs to Know" by Joseph Romm. Finally, it is important to note that there are numerous websites that are not based in scientific fact, but rather on political opinion or conspiracy theories. These sites should be avoided if you are looking for reliable information.

Related to Materials to read on global warming

1. What are the most reliable sources for reading about global warming?

The most reliable sources for reading about global warming are scientific journals and reports from reputable organizations such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and NASA. Government websites, such as those from the Environmental Protection Agency or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, also provide reliable information on global warming.

2. How do I know if a source is trustworthy when reading about global warming?

To determine the trustworthiness of a source on global warming, look for evidence of peer-review, which indicates that the information has been evaluated and approved by other experts in the field. Additionally, the credentials and affiliations of the author or organization can also be a good indicator of credibility.

3. Are there any good books to read about global warming?

Yes, there are many books available on global warming that provide in-depth information and analysis on the topic. Some popular titles include "This Changes Everything" by Naomi Klein, "The Sixth Extinction" by Elizabeth Kolbert, and "The Uninhabitable Earth" by David Wallace-Wells.

4. How can I stay updated on the latest research and findings on global warming?

One of the best ways to stay updated on global warming is to follow reputable organizations and scientists on social media. Additionally, subscribing to newsletters or email updates from organizations like the IPCC or attending conferences and lectures can also provide access to the latest research and findings.

5. What are some common misconceptions about global warming?

Some common misconceptions about global warming include the idea that it is a natural cycle or that it is not caused by human activities. The overwhelming majority of scientific evidence points to human actions, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, as the primary cause of global warming. Another misconception is that global warming is a distant problem that will not affect us in our lifetime, when in reality, its impacts are already being felt around the world.