Materials engineering vs Mechanical engineering

In summary, the individual is a materials engineering student in their 4th semester and has a strong interest in developing airplanes, which stems from growing up near an airport. They have researched and found that mechanical engineering is closely related to aerospace engineering, but they are interested in being involved in the actual building and analysis of airplanes rather than just developing materials. They live in a country where there is no major in aerospace engineering. They are interested in the propulsion system aspect of aircraft design.
Luois Mers
I am an student of Materials engineering I'm 4th semester. I have always wanted to develop airplanes (I grew up close to an airport). I know for some articles on internet that Mechanical engineering is closely related to aerospace engineering. Over the 4th semesters in materials engineering I get that they develop the material for the manufacturing and I want to be the one who builds from the scratch the airplane, the one who analyses every fact ( aerodynamics, design... and so on).

you might wonder why I don't major in aerospace engineering?, well, in my country there is no major in aerospace engineering (I live in Colombia).In general :
* I would like to develop airplanes
* I'm so into the airplanes thing that I would pay for watching them taking off and landing.
*I don't mind about the money, I just want to have enough to live comfortably
* I think there is a lot of mechanical engineers and maybe that would be a disadvantage (in opposite to materials engineers- they are fewer people with that bachelor).

Which do you think works the best for the field that I want?, what do you guys think about these two careers?,

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, aerospace engineering is a derivative of mechanical engineering applied to aircraft and spacecraft .

Certainly, materials science/engineering or mechanics of materials is part of aircraft design.

What are one's interests, airfoils (wings), aircraft structure (wings, engine mounts, fuselage), propulsion, . . . . ?

Astronuc said:
Actually, aerospace engineering is a derivative of mechanical engineering applied to aircraft and spacecraft .

Certainly, materials science/engineering or mechanics of materials is part of aircraft design.

What are one's interests, airfoils (wings), aircraft structure (wings, engine mounts, fuselage), propulsion, . . . . ?
I like the most the propulsion system.

Related to Materials engineering vs Mechanical engineering

1. What is the main difference between materials engineering and mechanical engineering?

Materials engineering focuses on the properties and applications of different materials, while mechanical engineering deals with designing, analyzing, and manufacturing mechanical systems.

2. Can someone with a degree in materials engineering work as a mechanical engineer?

Yes, someone with a degree in materials engineering can work as a mechanical engineer, as both fields have overlapping skills and knowledge. However, they may need to gain additional experience or education in specific areas to be fully qualified.

3. Which field has better job prospects, materials engineering or mechanical engineering?

Both fields have strong job prospects, but it may depend on the current demand and industry trends in a particular location. Materials engineering is often in demand in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics, while mechanical engineering can have a wider range of job opportunities in various industries.

4. Are there any similarities between materials engineering and mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are several similarities between the two fields, including a focus on problem-solving, attention to detail, and the use of mathematical and scientific principles to design and analyze systems. Both fields also require knowledge of various materials and their properties.

5. Which field offers higher salary potential, materials engineering or mechanical engineering?

It is difficult to determine which field offers higher salary potential as it can vary based on location, industry, and experience. However, both fields can offer competitive salaries and opportunities for career advancement.