Is My Calculation of Bone Composition Accurate?

In summary, we discussed the composition of bone, with approximately 70 wt.% of dry bone being carbonated apatite and 30 wt.% being collagens. In vivo, bone contains 20 vol.% of water and 80 vol.% of carbonated apatite and collagens. However, the composition of bone can vary and there may be other components present that can affect the overall percentages. More advanced techniques may be necessary to obtain a more accurate understanding of bone composition.
Andy7199
Hi everyone, I know this is a standard textbook question but I am really wondering whether I am wrong or not.
My solution is shown as below but can anybody please give me some opinion? Cause I think it is too simple for this question...Thank you so much.

Water corresponds to approximately 20 vol.% of the bone in mammals. On a dry weight basis, approximately 70 wt.% of the bone is composed of carbonated apatite. The density of apatite is ~3.0 g/cm3. Density of dry collagens is ~ 1.2 g/cm3. Calculate the volume percentages of apatite and collagen in dry bone. Calculate the volume percentages of water, apatite and collagen in bone in vivo.

Regarding the dry bone, it contains 70 wt.% of carbonated apatite and 30 wt% of collagens.

Volume percentages of carbonated apatite:
vf = (70/3) / (70/3 + 30/1.2)
vf = 48.3 %

Volume percentages of collagens:
vf = (30/1.2) / (70/3 + 30/1.2)
vf = 51.7 %

Regarding the bone in vivo, it contains 20 vol.% of water and 80 vol% of carbonated apatite and collagens.

Volume percentages of carbonated apatite:
vf = 48.3*0.8 = 38.6 %

Volume percentages of collagens:
vf = 51.7*0.8 = 41.4 %

Physics news on Phys.org

Volume percentages of water:
vf = 20 %

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your solution with us. Your calculations seem to be correct and your approach is sound. However, it is important to note that the composition of bone can vary depending on factors such as age, health, and species. Therefore, these calculations may not be representative of all types of bone.

It is also worth considering that bone is a complex tissue, and there are other components present in addition to water, apatite, and collagen. These include cells, blood vessels, and other minerals. These components can also affect the overall composition and density of bone.

In order to obtain more accurate and comprehensive results, it is important to consider all the components of bone and their potential variations. This can be achieved through more advanced techniques such as microscopy and spectroscopy.

Overall, your solution provides a good understanding of the basic composition of bone, but it is important to keep in mind that there may be other factors at play that can affect the percentages of water, apatite, and collagen in bone. I hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Related to Is My Calculation of Bone Composition Accurate?

1. What is material science calculation?

Material science calculation is the process of using mathematical equations and models to understand the properties and behaviors of materials. These calculations can help scientists and engineers predict the performance of materials under different conditions and design new materials for specific applications.

2. What types of materials can be studied using material science calculation?

Material science calculation can be applied to a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, composites, and semiconductors. It can also be used to study nanomaterials and biomaterials.

3. How are material science calculations performed?

Material science calculations are typically performed using computer software that allows for complex mathematical equations and simulations to be run. These calculations can also be done by hand using pen and paper, but this is less common due to the complexity of the equations involved.

4. What are some common applications of material science calculation?

Material science calculation has many practical applications, such as designing new materials for specific uses, optimizing manufacturing processes, and predicting the behavior of materials under extreme conditions. It is also used in fields like aerospace, automotive, electronics, and healthcare.

5. What are the benefits of using material science calculation?

Material science calculations allow scientists and engineers to gain a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of materials, which can lead to the development of new and improved materials for various applications. These calculations also help save time and resources by allowing for simulations and predictions to be made before any physical testing or production takes place.