Material on how to go from data to differential equation

In summary, there is no single material or book that comprehensively explains how to go from data to differential equations. However, there are some new methods for fitting differential equations to data, as shown in the provided presentation. Another paper, "Regressions and Equations Integrales," explores a method for solving regression problems using differential and integral equations. This method eliminates the need for a recursive iteration process and avoids the need to choose an initial condition close to the real solution. While there are several examples of algorithms in the paper, there is no ready-made code for fitting differential equations as the method is more reliable for integral equations.
marellasunny
Is there any material or book that explains how one could go from data to differential equation comprehensively?
More like functional data analysis+differential equations

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question. My first instinct is to say "No, there is no single technique, you have to combine a variety of methods, beginning with creating a mathematical model for the data." However, I find this presentation on the web http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8cDmYmAcXqdLHtg&bvm=bv.44158598,d.aWM&cad=rja which says there are "new" methods for fitting differential equations to data. Perhaps another forum member will comment on that.

Hi !

unfortunately, I think that there are few material dealing with this subject.
Not excatly in the scope of what you are asking for, the pdf paper "Regressions and equations integrales" :
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents
It is written in French. Up to now, only the abstract is translated :
<< The main aim of this paper is to draw attention to a method rarely used to solve some regression problems.
In many cases, a differential and/or integral equation allows to turn a difficult problem of non-linear regression into a simple linear regression, which is the key part of the presentation.
The computation process is fundamentally different from the usual ones, since it isn't recursive. So, it doesn't requires an iterative loop.
In order to give a more concrete view, some exemple of non linear regressions are treated with detailed numerical examples : functions power, exponential, logarithm and some functions currently used in statistics : Gaussian Function, Weibull distribution >>

Some exemples of various forms of differential equations and integral equationsare provided (attachment)

Attachments

• RegEqDI.JPG
    RegEqDI.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 415
JJacquelin said:
Hi !

http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents
<<
In many cases, a differential and/or integral equation allows to turn a difficult problem of non-linear regression into a simple linear regression, which is the key part of the presentation.
>>
I really don't have the need to go into linear integral equations. So,if you could please explain in a gist what you are trying to do with integral equations and how it could help with the regression,that would be helpful!

marellasunny said:
I really don't have the need to go into linear integral equations. So,if you could please explain in a gist what you are trying to do with integral equations and how it could help with the regression,that would be helpful!

The referenced document deals with differential equations and/or integral equations.
In your case, only differential equations are considered. So, you don't need to consider the integrals appearing in the paper, but only the differentials.
As explained, from a given data, it is possible to compute the coefficients of a differential equation in order to obtain an optimized fitting between the solution of the differential equation and the given data.
As it is written in my first answer, I am aware that this paper is not excatly in the scope of what you are asking for. Nevertheless, I hoppe it will suggest you a new way of search.

To JJacquelin and others,
I'm trying to learn the terms in your paper,so could you please answer the following questions.

In your paper, you say one is given another function g(x) in addition to the fitting function y(x). What is g(x), and how does one arrive at it?(page 3)

How do you arrive at S_k in page 3. What is this mathematical procedure termed as?
I guess T_k is also similar to S_k and used in the integral equation. What are they termed as in mathematics?

I understand that the aim of this paper is the to eliminate the need of recursive iteration process in nonlinear regression,which intern means this method eliminates the need to choose an initial condition as close to the real solution as possible. Am I right?Could you send me a program code and I could have a more visual understanding.

marellasunny said:
In your paper, you say one is given another function g(x) in addition to the fitting function y(x). What is g(x), and how does one arrive at it?(page 3)
In the differential equation which we have to fit to given data ( see the first equation on top of page 4), some functions are likely to be present. g(x) is one of them. Possibly, g(x)=1 or g(x)=0. So g(x) is a known function.

marellasunny said:
How do you arrive at S_k in page 3. What is this mathematical procedure termed as?
I guess T_k is also similar to S_k and used in the integral equation. What are they termed as in mathematics?
Since your equation is purely a differential equation, there is no integral term in it. As a consequence S_k doesn’t exist in your case and you don’t need to compute it.
Same answer about T_k which is another notation of SS_k

marellasunny said:
I understand that the aim of this paper is the to eliminate the need of recursive iteration process in nonlinear regression,which intern means this method eliminates the need to choose an initial condition as close to the real solution as possible. Am I right?
Quite right. In fact, the aim of the paper is to show how one can transform a non-linear regression problem into a linear regression problem (not always, but in some cases). Since a linear regression doesn’t need recursive process, the consequence is that the transformed non-linear regression non longer needs a recursive process. That is an advantage of the method, but there are some drawbacks.

marellasunny said:
Could you send me a program code and I could have a more visual understanding.
Several examples of very simple algorithms are shown page 7, 17, 19. One can easily write them in program code. These examples correspond to the cases of integral equations. On can understand what are the similar algorithms in cases of differential equations ( i.e. : computation of D_k instead of S_k , page 3).
I have no ready made code in case of differential equations because, in practice, I mainly treated some cases of integral equations. As it is explained in the paper (with an example page 27), the method is more reliable for the fitting of the integral equations than for the fitting of the differential equations.

Last edited:

Related to Material on how to go from data to differential equation

1. What is the purpose of converting data to a differential equation?

The purpose of converting data to a differential equation is to create a mathematical model that can describe and predict the behavior of a system or phenomenon based on the available data.

2. How do you convert data to a differential equation?

To convert data to a differential equation, you first need to plot the data and observe the trend or pattern. Based on this, you can then choose an appropriate mathematical function or equation that best represents the data. This equation can then be differentiated to create a differential equation.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential equation instead of just analyzing the data?

Using a differential equation allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms and relationships within the data. It also allows for predictions and simulations of future behavior, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Are there any limitations to converting data to a differential equation?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the differential equation model depends heavily on the quality and quantity of the data used to create it. If the data is noisy or incomplete, the resulting differential equation may not accurately represent the system being studied.

5. How can differential equations be applied in real-world scenarios?

Differential equations can be used to model various natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in engineering to analyze and design systems, such as circuits and mechanical systems. Additionally, differential equations are used in economics and finance to model and predict market behavior.