Material of construction for reactor (SS 304 or SS 316)

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between SS304 and SS316 for a reactor containing 200 kg/hr sulphuric acid (97%), 2000 kg/hr methanol (98%), and 3500 kg/hr free fatty acids mixture. The individual initially considered SS304 due to the small amount of sulphuric acid, but upon further research on methanol, they are now considering SS316. The conversation also mentions the need to consider corrosive properties and cost, as well as conducting a life cycle analysis of the reactor. The individual also expresses concern about finding information on corrosion for methanol at high concentration and temperature.
princessme
Would SS304 or SS316 be a better choice for a reactor containing 200 kg/hr sulphuric acid (97%), 2000 kg/hr methanol (98%) and 3500 kg/hr free fatty acids mixture? My initial choice was SS304 since the sulphuric acid amount was little, but upon reading more on methanol, I'm considering about 316 right now. Any suggestions on this?

The reaction is carried out at 75 C and 450 kPa.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the corrosive properties of the two steels? Then you should consider the cost of each material, and a life cycle analysis of the reactor. That should get you started, maybe some more knowledgeable folks can chime in here too.

Maylis said:
Have you looked at the corrosive properties of the two steels? Then you should consider the cost of each material, and a life cycle analysis of the reactor. That should get you started, maybe some more knowledgeable folks can chime in here too.
Yeah I went through the corrosion handbook for sulphuric acid, but since it's only in a very small amount, I don't think it'll affect much. My concern is on methanol, but I couldn't find much info on corrosion for methanol at high concentration and temperature.

Related to Material of construction for reactor (SS 304 or SS 316)

What is the difference between SS 304 and SS 316?

SS 304 and SS 316 are both types of stainless steel, but they have different chemical compositions. SS 304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel, while SS 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel, and 2% molybdenum. This makes SS 316 more corrosion-resistant and suitable for use in harsher environments.

Which material is better for reactor construction, SS 304 or SS 316?

The choice of material depends on the specific requirements of the reactor. SS 316 is generally considered to be a better choice for reactors that will be exposed to corrosive materials or high temperatures. However, SS 304 may be suitable for reactors that will not be exposed to such conditions and may be more cost-effective.

What are the advantages of using SS 304 for reactor construction?

SS 304 is a versatile and widely used material with good corrosion resistance and high strength. It is also readily available and relatively affordable compared to other types of stainless steel. Additionally, it is easy to fabricate and weld, making it a popular choice for various applications.

What are the advantages of using SS 316 for reactor construction?

SS 316 has similar advantages to SS 304, but with the added benefit of increased corrosion resistance due to the presence of molybdenum. This makes it a preferred choice for reactors that will be exposed to corrosive materials or high temperatures. It is also highly durable and has a longer lifespan compared to SS 304.

What factors should be considered when choosing between SS 304 and SS 316 for reactor construction?

When deciding between these two materials, factors such as the specific application of the reactor, the type of chemicals or substances it will come into contact with, the operating temperature and pressure, and the budget should be taken into consideration. It is important to evaluate the advantages and limitations of each material and choose the one that best suits the requirements of the reactor.

Back