Material Derivative: Show F(x,y,z,t) Moves with Fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses a fluid with a velocity of \vec{u} \equiv (2xt,-yt,-zt) in rectangular Cartesian coordinates. It is shown that the surface defined by F(x,y,z,t) = x^2exp(-2t^2)+(y^2+2z^2)exp(t^2) = constant moves with the fluid and always contains the same fluid particles. The surface is represented by z=A(x,y,t) and the total derivative of the surface is used, as it includes a component of z. The F in the equations stands for the surface.
coverband
A fluid moves so that its velocity is [tex] \vec {u} \equiv (2xt,-yt,-zt) [/tex], written in rectangular Cartesian coordinates. Show that the surface F(x,y,z,t) = [tex] x^2exp (-2t^2)+(y^2+2z^2)exp(t^2)=constant [/tex] moves with the fluid (so that it always contains the same fluid particles; that is, DF/Dt=0)

Homework Equations

I got this from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Marine..._Wave_Theory#Kinematic_Free_Surface_Condition

[tex] \frac{DF(x,y,z,t)}{Dt}=w. [/tex] If the surface is defined by z=A(x,y,t), then [tex] w = \frac {\partial A}{\partial t} + u \frac {\partial A}{\partial x}+v \frac{\partial A}{\partial y} [/tex] but I'm confused. If A refers to the surface, my surface has z's in it. Also what does the F stand for in the wiki equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe [itex]F[/itex] is also the surface. If you look at one of the prior sections, it says,

...the total derivative of the water surface will be zero, since we move with the surface. Thus on any surface,
[tex]\frac{DF(x,y,z,t)}{Dt}=0[/tex]

I would also assume that if your surface has a component of [itex]z[/itex] in it, you cannot use that form of the derivative and must use the total derivative.

Thanks very much

Related to Material Derivative: Show F(x,y,z,t) Moves with Fluid

1. What is a material derivative?

A material derivative is a mathematical expression that describes how a function, such as F(x,y,z,t), changes over time as it moves with a fluid. It takes into account both the spatial and temporal changes of the function.

2. How is a material derivative related to fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, the material derivative is used to describe the motion of a fluid and how it affects the properties of the fluid. It is an important concept in understanding the dynamics of fluids and their behavior.

3. What does it mean for F(x,y,z,t) to move with a fluid?

When we say that a function F(x,y,z,t) moves with a fluid, it means that the values of the function at different points in space are affected by the movement of the fluid at those points. This is represented by the material derivative, which takes into account the changes in both space and time.

4. How is the material derivative calculated?

The material derivative is calculated using the Lagrangian approach, which tracks the motion of individual particles within a fluid. It is mathematically represented as the sum of the partial derivatives of the function with respect to time and each spatial variable, multiplied by the velocity of the fluid at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of the material derivative?

The material derivative is used in various fields, including meteorology, oceanography, and engineering, to study the motion and behavior of fluids. It is also used in weather forecasting, predicting ocean currents, and designing efficient fluid systems.