Matching a probe to my oscilloscope (15mhz)

In summary: Yes, the square wave output can be used for calibration. Just tune the capacitance control until you get a nice square waveform. You're good to go!
rappinrafi
Hey all. As the title states, I have an analog oscilloscope with a bandwidth of 15MHz. I am in the market for a probe and have noticed a good deal of them to be in the triple digits.

Long story short, I've come across a quality probe kit that consists of 150MHz rated probes. Thus my question is if a 150MHz probe is too high for a scope with only 15MHz... literally an order of magnitude.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rappinrafi said:
Hey all. As the title states, I have an analog oscilloscope with a bandwidth of 15MHz. I am in the market for a probe and have noticed a good deal of them to be in the triple digits.

Long story short, I've come across a quality probe kit that consists of 150MHz rated probes. Thus my question is if a 150MHz probe is too high for a scope with only 15MHz... literally an order of magnitude.

Thanks in advance.

Nah, higher is better, except higher BW usually means higher cost.

It's best if the probe has an input capacitance adjustment, to help match the input capacitance of the 'scope. Does your 'scope have a "calibration" output square wave available?

Okay. Yes it does have cap adjustment; don't they all?

The scope does have a square wave output for calibration.

rappinrafi said:

I can't seem to find one on the one I have. It has something that looks like one, but turning it doesn't do anything.

rappinrafi said:

Good. Do you know how to use the square wave to calibrate the probe? Just tune the capacitance control until you get a nice square waveform. You're good to go!

Related to Matching a probe to my oscilloscope (15mhz)

1. How do I choose the right probe for my oscilloscope?

Choosing the right probe for your oscilloscope depends on the bandwidth of your oscilloscope and the frequency range of the signals you are measuring. Generally, you should choose a probe with a bandwidth that is equal to or higher than your oscilloscope's bandwidth.

2. Can I use any probe with my oscilloscope?

Not all probes are compatible with all oscilloscopes. Make sure to check the specifications of both your oscilloscope and the probe to ensure compatibility.

3. What is the importance of matching a probe to my oscilloscope's bandwidth?

Matching the probe's bandwidth to your oscilloscope's bandwidth ensures that the probe can accurately measure and display the signals being measured. Using a probe with a lower bandwidth than your oscilloscope can result in distorted or inaccurate readings.

4. Can I use a higher bandwidth probe with my oscilloscope?

Yes, you can use a probe with a higher bandwidth than your oscilloscope. However, keep in mind that the probe's bandwidth is limited by the oscilloscope's bandwidth, so using a higher bandwidth probe may not provide any additional benefits.

5. Is there a limit to the frequency range that a probe can measure?

Yes, there is a limit to the frequency range that a probe can accurately measure. This limit is determined by the probe's bandwidth. Using a probe with a bandwidth that is too low for the frequency of the signal being measured can result in inaccurate readings.