Masters Programs: Inorganic Chemistry Requirements

In summary, the requirements for inorganic chemistry in physics and engineering masters programs vary depending on the university and the specific program. Generally, only chemical engineering or biophysics programs may require a second semester of inorganic chemistry, while other programs may not require it at all. However, some universities may have different requirements, so it is best to check with your specific university for their individual requirements.
CarbonWater
Aside from chemical engineering or biophysics, to what extent do physics and engineering masters programs require you to have had a second semester in inorganic chemistry? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Depends. Usually none.

I did a masters (and PhD) in physics and haven't taken chemistry since high school (although physical chemistry would have come in useful for my own research). None of the programs required or even suggested it; math and computer science were more useful.

My university made us take it...

It did not contribute to my Physics/Math education whatsoever.

So check with your university

I had to take General Chem I and 2. Though I never took chem in high school. I found them both pretty interesting.

None of the engineering degrees I've investigated required anything more than one semester of chemistry, with the exception of biomed, agricultural, and chemical.

Related to Masters Programs: Inorganic Chemistry Requirements

1. What is the duration of a Masters program in Inorganic Chemistry?

The duration of a Masters program in Inorganic Chemistry can vary depending on the university and program, but on average it takes 2-3 years to complete.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Masters program in Inorganic Chemistry?

The admission requirements for a Masters program in Inorganic Chemistry typically include a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or a related field, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and/or research experience.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within Inorganic Chemistry during my Masters program?

Yes, most Masters programs in Inorganic Chemistry allow students to choose a specialization within the field, such as materials chemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, or organometallic chemistry. Some programs may also offer a general Inorganic Chemistry track.

4. Do I need to have a background in Inorganic Chemistry to apply for a Masters program?

While having a strong foundation in Inorganic Chemistry can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for admission to a Masters program. Some programs may offer preparatory courses for students with a limited background in the subject.

5. Are there any research or thesis requirements for a Masters program in Inorganic Chemistry?

Most Masters programs in Inorganic Chemistry require students to complete a research project or thesis as part of their degree. This typically involves conducting original research under the guidance of a faculty advisor and presenting the results in a written thesis or dissertation.