Masters program changing names

In summary: It's a pretty low- prestige field.In summary, the name of the program is changing to Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology, but the course requirements and professors are not changing.
respect_the_S
It's my first semester in the Manufacturing and Mechanical Systems Integration masters program at RIT. I've just learned that the program name is changing to Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology. I don't want a masters in engineering technology, and since I've found that I'm enjoying the statistics related courses the most, I'm considering switching to either industrial engineering or applied statistics.

I'm posting this question here because I want opinions on how to go about approaching people about this. I'll need to talk to the IE or statistics department and well as my home department for sure, but I wasn't sure if maybe there was a best way to go about bringing it up, or if they would care either way. I guess my concern is for my home department to think I wasn't serious about being there, or if my potential new department would be concerned with me switching again if they took me on. I know only they can answer for sure, just hoping to get some opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
"A rose by any other ..." NBS turned into NIST thirty years ago ... lost name recognition, gained syllable count, other wise pretty much business as usual ... a stage in the maturation of bureaucracies.

Are the course requirements also changing, or is it only the name?

jtbell said:
Are the course requirements also changing, or is it only the name?

The course requirements aren't, but engineering technology carries a stigma with it regarding a lack of academic rigor. At my school it's ABET accredited but it sometimes doesn't change the perception.

Also, I find myself gravitating towards the statistics courses in my program, and I'm considering switching to industrial engineering or applied statistics. I'm just not sure how common it is to switch masters programs. It wouldn't be a completely unrelated switch though, just to something more focused on the part of my current program that I've found an interest in.

respect_the_S said:
The course requirements aren't, but engineering technology carries a stigma with it regarding a lack of academic rigor. At my school it's ABET accredited but it sometimes doesn't change the perception.

Also, I find myself gravitating towards the statistics courses in my program, and I'm considering switching to industrial engineering or applied statistics. I'm just not sure how common it is to switch masters programs. It wouldn't be a completely unrelated switch though, just to something more focused on the part of my current program that I've found an interest in.

I agree. Engineering Technology says "dumbed down" to a lot of people. Your concern is valid.

I steer most students I mentor away from engineering technology degrees.

Related to Masters program changing names

1. What is the reason for the Masters program changing names?

The reason for a Masters program changing names can vary, but it is typically due to a rebranding or reorganization of the program. This could be to better reflect the focus or goals of the program, or to align with the changing industry or academic landscape.

2. Will the curriculum change with the new name?

In most cases, when a Masters program changes names, the curriculum will also be updated to reflect the new name and focus. However, this may not always be the case and it is best to check with the program administrators for more information on curriculum changes.

3. How will the name change affect my degree?

The name change of a Masters program should not affect the validity or value of your degree. Your degree will still be recognized as the same level of education and expertise as before the name change.

4. Will the admissions requirements change with the new name?

In most cases, the admissions requirements for a Masters program will not change with a name change. However, if the program has undergone significant changes in focus or curriculum, the admissions requirements may also be updated. It is best to check with the program administrators for the most up-to-date information.

5. Can I still use the old program name on my resume or CV?

It is usually acceptable to use the old program name on your resume or CV if you graduated before the name change. However, if you are currently enrolled in the program or have recently graduated, it is best to use the updated program name to avoid confusion. It is also a good idea to include a note or explanation of the name change on your resume or CV.