Masters: Most Employable area to specialize in?

In summary: Structure/vibrations is a great area to specialize in as long as you're prepared to learn new things constantly and keep up with the latest technologies. Structural dynamics is a very dynamic and rapidly changing field, so if you want to stay employed for a long time, specializing in this area is a good idea.
keithmregan
I have an bachelor of science in Music Technology from Drexel. I am no longer interested in working as an audio engineer. I have been considering a masters in mechanical engineering for some time.

I realize that a masters is more specific and not as broad as an undergrad in mechanical engineering. I have to carefully decide what area to specialize in because I don't want to put myself in a situation where I can only get one kind of job.

In general, what is the best area to specialize in in terms of job availability and pay(especially for someone WITHOUT an engineering undergrad)? I know you can choose mechanics, controls or thermal and fluid sciences at Drexel. At Villanova you can just taylor the degree and pick the courses you want.

If I choose thermal and fluid sciences what kind of jobs might I be able to land?

I don't think that I am interested in controls. Mechanics is also not as appealing to me as thermal and fluid sciences, but nothing is set in stone at this point.

I am just reaching out and trying to gather information from people in the industry and I really appreciate any advice and guidance. I don't want to go through getting a masters and then not be able to find a job.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're worried about employment, why not work out what your best university course would be based on the job you wish to spend 30 years doing, rather than work out what job you can do based on 1 year's study?

I am trying to gather advice. yes, I should work in an area I WANT to work in, but I also want to not box myself into one type of job by specializing in an area that doesn't have good job prospects.

keithmregan said:
I am trying to gather advice. yes, I should work in an area I WANT to work in, but I also want to not box myself into one type of job by specializing in an area that doesn't have good job prospects.
Tough one. If you want to master a technical specialty and work in a job long-term, you're going to have to be a fortune teller AND lucky AND ready to learn throughout your career. Technologies change or get superseded all the time, so you've got to roll with the changes.

I worked in the pulp and paper industry in several positions, and over the course of less than 10 years, I saw the phase-out of pneumatic controllers with paper-disk recorders, and the ascendancy of the electronic controllers with paper roll-chart recorders, then the introduction of dedicated microprocessors to control specific processes, then the introduction of far more generalized computers with graphical interfaces, that communicated with process equipment through Allen-Bradley PLCs. That was a long time ago, and things have not stopped changing. In a dynamic field, your education cannot stop when you get another degree and then land a job, or you will find yourself looking for work in short notice.

Just something to think about... Instead of asking "can I get a job?" it might help you to consider "what kind of job do I want?" and prepare to watch your skills, duties, etc morph for years.

I recently attended a seminar by a senior engineer at Bell Helicopter, and he said that engineers with expertise in structural dynamics and vibrations have better job security than those that don't. I'm not sure that I believe it, but that's what he said.

Related to Masters: Most Employable area to specialize in?

1. What is the most employable area to specialize in with a Masters degree?

The most employable area to specialize in with a Masters degree varies depending on the current job market and industry demand. However, some of the most sought-after areas include business, technology, healthcare, engineering, and finance.

2. How can specializing in a particular area with a Masters degree increase my employability?

Specializing in a particular area with a Masters degree can increase your employability by making you a subject matter expert in a specific field. This can make you more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for higher-paying and more specialized roles.

3. Are there any specific industries that highly value candidates with a Masters degree?

Many industries value candidates with a Masters degree, but some of the top ones include healthcare, finance, technology, and education. These industries often require advanced knowledge and skills, making a Masters degree a valuable asset for job seekers.

4. What skills can I acquire by specializing in a particular area with a Masters degree?

By specializing in a particular area with a Masters degree, you can acquire both technical and soft skills. Technical skills may include advanced knowledge in a specific field, while soft skills may include critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. These skills can make you a well-rounded and desirable candidate for many job roles.

5. Is it necessary to specialize in a specific area with a Masters degree for better job prospects?

Specializing in a specific area with a Masters degree is not necessary for better job prospects, but it can certainly enhance your employability. In addition to acquiring specialized knowledge and skills, a Masters degree also demonstrates your commitment and dedication to a particular field, making you a desirable candidate for employers.