Masters in Physics: Proving Properties of Gamma Matrices

In summary, the gamma matrices have eigenvalues +/- 1, +/- i. The trace of \gamma^{\mu} is zero. If \gamma_{5} = -i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3} then \gamma_{5},\gamma^{\mu}= 0, \gamma^{2}_{5}=I, eigenvalues = +/- 1.
bubblehead
I've just started a masters in physics after a 4-year break and am having some real trouble getting back into the swing of things! We have been asked to prove some properties of gamma matrices, namely:

1. [itex]\gamma^{\mu+}=\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}[/itex]

2. that the matrices have eigenvalues +/- 1, +/- i

3. The trace of [itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] is zero

4. if [itex]\gamma_{5} = -i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}[/itex] then [itex]\gamma_{5},\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]= 0, [itex]\gamma^{2}_{5}[/itex]=I, eigenvalues = +/- 1

For #1 we are to use the Clifford algebra. We have not been given the definitions of the the gamma matrices -- I don't know if we are expected to know these or if they are irrelevant for the proof. We are also given that gamma 0 is equal to its conjugate transpose and gamma i (i = 1,2,3) is equal to its conjugate transpose times -1. I don't even know where to start on this one -- not quite clear on how the multiplication of the matrices works.

#2 I can do if I take each matrix individually, but how do it do it for the 'general' case of [itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]? By [itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] does it mean I need to take all gammas at once as a set/group/4-vector (how can it be a vector if its components are matricies?), or does it mean for a general gamma mu, where mu = 0,1,2,3?

#3 Same as above, fine if I take each matrix individually, but how to do it generally?

# 4 I can do the eigenvalues and the gamma-five-squared = identity, but I'm not sure about the commutator? Again, do I use some 'general' gamma mu?

I have never had to use tensors before so that whole area is still not quite clear to me -- I understand the concept but not really how tensor operations work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use the defining property of the gamma matrices, namely:
[tex]\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu + \gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu = 2 \eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex]
Most of these should follow from this. For example, this tells you that
[tex] (\gamma^0)^2 = 1, (\gamma^i)^2 = -1[/tex]
What can you conclude about the eigenvalues from this?

As they are unitary matrices, it means the eigenvalues are +/- i, +/- 1. Hooray!

I am still stuck on how to show 1.

Using the defining property I can generalize, ([itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\eta^{\mu\mu}[/itex]. I am given the conjugate transposes for 0 and i, putting those together I get

[itex]\gamma^{\mu+}[/itex]=-[itex]\eta^{\mu\mu}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]

I can substitute ([itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] for [itex]\eta^{\mu\mu}[/itex]. For -1 I can substitute the square of gamma zero, giving

[itex]\gamma^{\mu+}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]

How do I continue from here? I am stuck on how to rearrange this because the matrices are not commutative. I tried substituting a rearranged defining property for [itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] but it didn't seem helpful.

Use the anticommutation relation to switch the order of [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] and [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex] in [itex]\gamma^0\gamma^\mu\gamma^0[/itex]. It doesn't matter which [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] you use.

Not sure how to do that. Everything I try seems to just cancel back out, e.g.

[itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}[/itex] = [itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex](2[itex]\eta^{\mu 0}[/itex]-[itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex])

=[itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex]2[itex]\eta^{\mu 0}[/itex]-([itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex])[itex]^{2}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]

= [itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex]([itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}+\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex])+[itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]

=[itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}[/itex]+[itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex])[itex]^{2}\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]+[itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex]

=[itex]\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}[/itex]

How does this help me?

What does the second line evaluate to when [itex]\mu=0[/itex] and when [itex]\mu=i[/itex]?

Related to Masters in Physics: Proving Properties of Gamma Matrices

1. What is a Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices?

A Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices is a graduate degree program that equips students with advanced knowledge and skills in the field of theoretical physics. It specifically focuses on the study of gamma matrices, which are mathematical tools used to describe spin in quantum mechanics. Students in this program will learn how to prove various properties of gamma matrices, which are essential in understanding fundamental laws and principles of the universe.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices?

Graduates of this program can pursue various career opportunities, including research positions in both academic and industrial settings. They can also work as theoretical physicists, mathematical physicists, or quantum physicists. Additionally, they can apply their knowledge and skills in fields such as aerospace engineering, computer science, and finance.

3. What are the prerequisites for a Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices?

The prerequisites for this program may vary depending on the university, but most programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some universities may also require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and differential equations.

4. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices?

The duration of this program is typically two years for full-time students. However, some universities may offer an accelerated program that can be completed in one year. Part-time options may also be available, but the completion time may vary.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing a Masters in Physics with a focus on proving properties of gamma matrices?

Yes, this program prepares students for further studies in theoretical physics, and many graduates go on to pursue a PhD. The research experience gained during the program, along with the strong foundation in theoretical physics, makes them well-equipped for doctoral studies in this field.