Mastering Redox Reactions: How to Write Oxidation and Reduction Equations

In summary, to write the oxidation and reduction equations for the given reaction, you must first determine the oxidation state of each element. This can be done by following certain rules. Additionally, examples in your textbook can provide guidance. Balancing redox reactions can be done using different methods, such as half reactions and oxidation numbers. This type of question is considered coursework and must adhere to posting rules.
jen24007
hey guys! i am lost with my current unit...redox reactions. i was wondering if any chem whizzes could lead me in the right direction as how to write the oxidation and reduction equations for the following reaction:

IO-3 (aq) + I- (aq)--> I2 (aq)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I still have no idea why i took AP chem...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all the equation isn't complete. What happened to the oxygen atom? In general you should first determine the oxidation state of each element in the reaction, there are rules which can be applied to help you do this, can you remember them?

~H

Hoot : The problem requires you to complete the equation.

jen : There must be examples in your text showing you exactly how to go about this process.

Here's another detailed example : http://www.mpcfaculty.net/mark_bishop/redox_balance_half_acid_example.htm

This counts as coursework, and hence must follow the relevant posting rules.

Gokul43201 said:
Hoot : The problem requires you to complete the equation.

Oo right, makes sense now.

~H

Related to Mastering Redox Reactions: How to Write Oxidation and Reduction Equations

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two substances. This transfer of electrons causes a change in the oxidation states of the substances involved.

2. How do you identify a redox reaction?

Redox reactions can be identified by the change in oxidation states of the substances involved. The substance that loses electrons is oxidized and the substance that gains electrons is reduced.

3. What is the importance of redox reactions in everyday life?

Redox reactions play a crucial role in many everyday processes such as respiration, photosynthesis, and corrosion. They are also used in batteries, fuel cells, and other important industrial processes.

4. Can you give an example of a redox reaction?

An example of a redox reaction is the reaction between iron and oxygen to form rust. In this reaction, iron loses electrons to oxygen, causing it to oxidize and form iron oxide (rust).

5. How are redox reactions balanced?

Redox reactions are balanced by making sure that the number of electrons lost by the oxidized substance is equal to the number of electrons gained by the reduced substance. This is done by adding appropriate coefficients to the reactants and products in the chemical equation.