Mastering Physics: Rolling Motion, Pebble stuck in a Tire by Static Fr

In summary, to find the speed at which the pebble flies out of the tire tread, we can use the centripetal force equation and plug in the maximum static friction as the force, the radius of the tire, and the mass of the pebble. We then solve for velocity, keeping in mind that the speed at the top of the wheel is twice the speed of the vehicle. This results in a speed of approximately 17 m/s.
lila.haj

Homework Statement

A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a 0.76 m diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread? I know the answer is 17 m/s however I don't know how to get it.

Homework Equations

v=(2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*R)/T
v=ωR
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=τ/I
I=1/2*M*R2
Fc=(m*v2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the centripetal force equation and rearranged for velocity, using the maximum static friction as my force. I then divided that number by 2 to get the speed in the centre of the wheel (since the speed at the top of the wheel is twice the speed of the vehicle).

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem Solved!

I found the solution, I used the centripetal force equation like I explained above, but I did not divide by 2 at the end.

Fc=mv2/r
v=√(Fcr/m)
v=√[(3.6 N)(0.38 m)/(0.0012kg)]
v=33.76388603 m/s
v=38 m/s

Related to Mastering Physics: Rolling Motion, Pebble stuck in a Tire by Static Fr

1. What is rolling motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Rolling motion is the movement of an object where it rotates and translates at the same time, such as a wheel rolling on the ground. It is different from other types of motion because it involves both rotational and translational motion, whereas other types of motion only involve one of these types.

2. How does a pebble become stuck in a tire through static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other. In the case of a pebble getting stuck in a tire, the pebble and the tire are in contact with each other and the force of static friction prevents the pebble from slipping out of the tire as it rolls.

3. How can I calculate the acceleration of a rolling object?

The acceleration of a rolling object can be calculated using the equation a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the object. This equation takes into account both the rotational and translational motion of the object.

4. What factors affect the rolling motion of an object?

The rolling motion of an object can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the surface it is rolling on, the mass distribution of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. How can I apply the principles of rolling motion to real-life situations?

The principles of rolling motion can be applied to various real-life situations, such as designing wheels for vehicles, understanding the movement of balls in sports, and predicting the behavior of objects rolling down an inclined plane. It is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.