Mastering Mechanics to Solving Physics Problems

In summary, the student is looking for a general strategy to approach problems and solve them. They mention that they lack time management skills, and that if the test is tough, few students will finish. They also mention that knowing calculus well is a good defense.
Charanjit

Homework Statement

I don't have a specific problem. I have an exam coming up. Our class was all about Mechanics. So I want to have a strategy to solve problems, that I can follow. Can someone help me?

Topics include:

Kinematic Problems (Motion in 1-3 Dimensions)
Forces
Conservation of Energy/Work
Center of Mass/Linear Momentum
Rotation

I am basically looking for a general strategy to approach problems, and solve them.

Physics news on Phys.org
IME lack of time management should be a concern. If the test is really tough, few students will finish, and of those who don't, a lot never get anything scrawled on the last question or two.

Show me what you know, not what you don't. I am generous with even a reasonable restatement of the problem, a short list of equations, and some effort vs throwing stuff together in a haphazard fashion. If you are lost, state what you know and move on.

Put together coherent equations and a logical approach. I would much rather see all the algebra done at once which points to a solution versus numerical answers every step of the way.

Know Newton's laws.

Know Newton's laws.

Dance with the gal you brought: if youu have a methodology that has worked in the past, use it. This is not always the best time to realize that energy conservation is better than a purely kinematics approach unless the question asks you for a particular approach.

Rotation: try not to get dizzy and remember that it is only a specialized case of linear principles and equations.

Best of luck.

PS: knowing calculus well, and being able to apply it on the fly is the very best defense!

I don't think there is general strategy for solving physics problem. You must understand meaning of each eq. and know how to interpret info from each problem.

p/s: maybe alvin halpern's 3k physics problem can help you improve your skill :)

Related to Mastering Mechanics to Solving Physics Problems

1. What is the first step in developing a strategy to solve mechanics problems?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. This will help you determine which equations and principles to use in your solution.

2. How do I approach a mechanics problem that involves multiple objects?

Start by drawing a free-body diagram for each object, showing all the forces acting on it. Then apply Newton's Second Law of Motion to each object separately and use algebra to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the best way to double check my solution for a mechanics problem?

One way to double check your solution is to check for units consistency. Make sure the units of your final answer match the units of the given variables. You can also perform a simple plausibility check by estimating the magnitude of your answer and seeing if it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How important is it to draw diagrams when solving mechanics problems?

Drawing diagrams is crucial in solving mechanics problems as it helps you visualize the problem and all the forces at play. It also helps you organize your thoughts and identify any potential errors in your calculations.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a mechanics problem?

If you get stuck, take a step back and revisit the problem. Make sure you have correctly identified all the known and unknown variables and that you are using the appropriate equations and principles. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts to help you solve it step by step.