Mastering Logarithms: Solving Equations with Logarithmic Functions

• Thread starter nikita33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the author is looking for a better way to solve equations like this that do not follow from the definition of the logarithm. He has been unsuccessful in finding this method online or in his textbooks. He eventually solves the equation using exponential form and the change of base formula.
nikita33

Homework Statement

Im not looking for answers as i know the answers already. i also know that given time and a calculator, i could figure these out, but i have neither for the exams. I am just wondering the general way of setting problems like this up, so i can solve others in the future. my book and prof did not go over this. google hasnt helped and the threads here don't seem to address it either.

log9[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
log81/4
log3[tex]\sqrt{27}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

9x=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
8x=1/4
3x=[tex]\sqrt{27}[/tex]
? is there an easier or more logical way? these equations are not helping me.
i still do not know how to figure out what x is. even if i memorise the exponents, i think there must be an actual method to do these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the change of base formula:

logba = [tex]\frac{log(a)}{log(b)}[/tex]

ok, so if i do, for example,
2vtozvc.png

i feel i am still in the same predicament of not knowing how to find out what the exponent (to any base i choose) would be (meaning 3x=[tex]\sqrt{27}[/tex], how would i figure out the x).
eg., if i were to use base 3 for both, log33 is 1 but i still am left with log3[tex]\sqrt{27}[/tex] which i don't know how to figure out, since i can't use the calculator and i don't think memorizing will help me in the future.

i guess, for the above problem, the only way to do it is to put 27 under the radical and take the 3 root? of course, I've been thinking about it for a few days, but i just had a quiz that had a problem like this and i didnt answer it because the quiz was 10 minutes and i didnt have enough time to tinker with it. plus, i don't see how it will work with log81/4.

of course, i could be completely off base here, as i just started precalc and am in the learning process. sorry for babbling on. thank you though.

Using that formula is not the best way to do this problem. The answers follow directly from the definition of the logarithm and using basic definitions and facts is always better than just applying formulas (true, it involves thinking which is often painful!)

You are starting well when you change to exponential form:
[itex]9^x=\sqrt{3}[/itex]
[itex]8^x=1/4[/itex]
[itex]3^x= \sqrt{27}[/itex]

Now write the right side as an exponential also: [itex]\sqrt{27}= 3^?[/itex].

For the first and second, it will probably be easiest if you have the same base for both sides. 9= 32 so [itex]9^x= (3^2)^x= 3^?[/itex]. [itex]\sqrt{3}= 3^?[/itex].

8= 23 so [itex]8^x= (2^3)^x= 2^?[/itex]. 4= 22 so 1/4= 2?.

youre right about the thinking hurting. sometimes i feel like my brain is at terminal capacity, but i hate having these open questions.

ive figured out, albeit backwards, that 1/4 is 2-2 so
23x=2-2
base 2 cancels leaving 3x=-2 and algebra = 8-2/3=1/4. it seems so obvious, and i did figure it out a few days ago, but i needed a systematic way of doing it.

i did log9[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] by
32x=31/2
base 3 cancels, leaving 2x=1/2, 4x=1 and its 91/4=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

finally, 3x=331/2
base 3 cancels, x=3/2

so, i guess the moral of the story is to try to get like bases. i just learned logs for the first time in my life, so its kind of like a new language, even though i understand exponents. i think i just need to get used to the idea.

thanks so much for laying out the path for me to solve these.

Related to Mastering Logarithms: Solving Equations with Logarithmic Functions

1. What are logarithms and how are they used in equations?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the inverse operation of exponentiation. They are used in equations to solve for an unknown variable that is present as an exponent in the equation. Logarithms are particularly useful when dealing with large numbers or when solving exponential equations.

2. How do you solve equations with logarithmic functions?

To solve an equation with logarithmic functions, you must first isolate the logarithmic expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. Finally, you can solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

3. What are the key properties of logarithms?

The key properties of logarithms are the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power rule states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

4. How do you know when to use logarithmic functions to solve an equation?

You can use logarithmic functions to solve an equation when the variable is present as an exponent and the equation cannot be solved easily using other algebraic techniques. Additionally, if the equation involves large numbers or exponential growth or decay, logarithmic functions can provide a simpler and more accurate solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving equations with logarithmic functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms correctly. Another mistake is not checking the solution to make sure it is valid for the original equation. Additionally, it is important to be aware of any extraneous solutions that may arise from taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation.