Mastering Coulomb's Law: Troubleshooting Sign and Distance Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the distance between two charges using the equation F=k*abs(q1)*abs(q2)/r^2. The conversation includes various steps and equations to find the correct distance, ultimately giving a final answer of 29.142cm.
luap12
1. Homework Statement [http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1104/58339946.jpg ][/URL]

2. Homework Equations [F=k*abs(q1)*abs(q2)/r^2]

3. I understand the equation, but I am having trouble with my signs and also how to include the distance in the equation. I know that the force can't be zero between the charges, and I think it has to be farthest away from the larger positive charge to make them equal to zero. The forces point in the same direction because they are opposite.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a point at a distance x from -q toward right, and find the forces on a unit positive charge due to two charges. Equate them to get the value of x.

I don't understand what you mean by that... I think I'm over-thinking this.

Force on unit positive charge due to -q at a distance x*1o^-2 m from it is...?
Force on unit positive charge due to 2q at a distance (10 + x)*10^-2 m is...?
Since net force is zero, equate them to find x.

Thanks very much, I got it now.

((k*q)/x^2)-((k*2q)/(x+10)^2)=0, solving for x gives 24.142cm. Accounting for the distance of 5cm on the x-axis give the point to be 29.142cm. This was the correct answer. Thanks!

Related to Mastering Coulomb's Law: Troubleshooting Sign and Distance Issues

1) What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the resulting electric force between them.

2) What are some common sign and distance issues when applying Coulomb's Law?

Some common sign and distance issues include incorrect signs for the charges, miscalculating the distance between the charges, and using the wrong units for charge or distance.

3) How can I troubleshoot sign issues when using Coulomb's Law?

To troubleshoot sign issues, make sure to use the correct signs for the charges (positive or negative) and that the signs are consistent throughout the calculation. Also, consider the direction of the force and make sure it aligns with the signs used.

4) What should I do if I encounter distance issues in my calculations?

If you encounter distance issues, double check that you are using the correct distance between the charges. This may involve converting units or using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance between non-collinear charges.

5) Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

No, Coulomb's Law can also be applied to non-point charges, such as charged spheres or extended objects. However, the calculations may be more complex as the distance between the charges may vary depending on the shape and size of the objects.