Mastering Basic Bra-Ket Algebra: Tips and Techniques for Solving Problems

In summary, the conversation is about bra-ket algebra. The lecturer demonstrated an example on the board and the student is having trouble expanding it out. They discuss the notation and how to approach solving the problem by focusing on the last two terms. The student also learns about the interpretation of outer products and how to think about them in the matrix representation.
jrand26
Hi guys, I'm having some trouble with bra-ket algebra.

For example, our lecturer did on the board, <Sx+|Sz|Sx+>

So what I would do is, ignoring any factors of 1/sqrt(2) or 1/2 or hbar.

Sx+ = |+> + |->
Sz = |+><+|-|-><-|

=> ( |+> + |-> )(|+><+|-|-><-|)( |+> + |->)

This is where I get stuck, the lecturer goes straight from this to,

(<+| + <-|)(|+> - |->)

When I try to expand it out, for the first two terms, I get stuck at

|+> * |+><+|-|-><-| = |+>|+> <+|-|-> <-|+> ??

I can see that the |+> can go with the <-| at the end, but does it go onto the expectation as well? How does that work?

Does |+> <+|-|-> = <+|+>|-|-> ?

That doesn't look right to me. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to change your notation slightly to make it a little easier on the eyes (all the +'s and -'s inside the bras/kets get hard to distinguish from normal addition and subtraction.) We have:

[tex]|x_+\rangle = |z_+ \rangle + |z_- \rangle\\
S_z = |z_+\rangle\langle z_+ | - |z_-\rangle\langle z_-|\\
\langle x_+|S_z|x_+\rangle = (\langle z_+ | + \langle z_- |)(|z_+\rangle\langle z_+ | - |z_-\rangle\langle z_-|)(|z_+\rangle + |z_-\rangle)[/tex]

Note the difference between my third line and yours--in the first term, the kets have to become bras, because we're putting the [itex]x_+[/itex] into a bra. I think this may be the source of some of your confusion.

To crack this, focus just on the last two terms, i.e. [itex]S_z|x+\rangle[/itex]. We have:

[tex](|z_+\rangle\langle z_+ | - |z_-\rangle\langle z_-|)(|z_+\rangle + |z_-\rangle)\\
= |z_+\rangle\langle z_+ |z_+\rangle + |z_+\rangle\langle z_+ |z_-\rangle - |z_-\rangle\langle z_-|z_+\rangle - |z_-\rangle\langle z_-|z_-\rangle\\
= |z_+\rangle \cdot 1 + |z_+\rangle \cdot 0 - |z_-\rangle \cdot 0 - |z_-\rangle \cdot 1\\
= |z_+\rangle - |z_-\rangle[/tex]

Now just substitute that back into the full expression to get:

[tex]
(\langle z_+| + \langle z_-|)(|z_+\rangle - |z_-\rangle)\\
=\langle z_+|z_+\rangle - \langle z_+|z_-\rangle + \langle z_-|z_+\rangle - \langle z_-|z_-\rangle\\
=\langle z_+|z_+\rangle - \langle z_-|z_-\rangle\\
= 1 - 1\\
= 0[/tex]

Whenever you see an outer product of bras and kets like [itex]|x\rangle\langle y|[/itex], you should think of it as saying that it maps [itex]|y\rangle[/itex] to [itex]|x\rangle[/itex], and maps any ket orthogonal to [itex]|y\rangle[/itex] to 0. Then it just becomes a matter of finding the combinations of terms which don't cancel, and using them to build your new state.

Alternatively, thinking about this in the matrix representation can also make it easier to follow, because then the whole song and dance I just did above becomes regular old matrix multiplication.

Last edited:
Thanks Chopin, that helps a lot.

Related to Mastering Basic Bra-Ket Algebra: Tips and Techniques for Solving Problems

1. How can I improve my understanding of bra-ket algebra?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of bra-ket algebra is through practice. Make sure to work through a variety of problems and use different techniques to solve them. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with bra-ket algebra?

One common mistake is not distributing the bra or ket when using the distributive property. It's also important to keep track of the order of multiplication, as it can change the resulting value. Another mistake is forgetting to use the complex conjugate when taking the inner product.

3. Can I use bra-ket algebra in other areas of science?

Yes, bra-ket algebra is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, but it can also be applied in other areas such as quantum information theory, atomic and molecular physics, and even in certain areas of mathematics.

4. Are there any tips for simplifying complex bra-ket expressions?

One tip is to use the closure property, which states that the inner product of a ket and a bra will always result in a scalar value. This can help simplify expressions by removing unnecessary kets and bras. Another tip is to use the associative and distributive properties to rearrange and simplify the expression.

5. How can I approach more challenging problems involving bra-ket algebra?

Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, use the properties and techniques you have learned to solve each part. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or visualize the problem to gain a better understanding. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources if needed.