Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Master

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Hey!! :eek:

I just graduated in Applied Mathematics and now I'm looking for a master in Computer Science. Would you suggest me the field "Algorithm and Systems Analysis" ? Could you give me some information about this field?

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Does someone know which knowledges are required?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Would you suggest me the field "Algorithm and Systems Analysis" ? Could you give me some information about this field?
I don't know much about systems analysis. Analysis of algorithms is a pretty technical field that uses a lot of mathematics. A typical task is to formulate time or space complexity of an algorithm as a recurrence relation and then either give an explicit solution or provide good upper and lower bounds. This requires quite a bit of skill in working with large mathematical formulas. The course I was involved in used the book Analysis of algorithms by Purdom and Brown. You can see the table of contents here. I was surprised at how much mathematics this book contained: for example, it has a manageable proof of Stirling's approximation that I struggled with in an undergraduate analysis course. In spite of being rather short, it is almost an encyclopedia in addition to being a textbook on the subject.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
I don't know much about systems analysis. Analysis of algorithms is a pretty technical field that uses a lot of mathematics. A typical task is to formulate time or space complexity of an algorithm as a recurrence relation and then either give an explicit solution or provide good upper and lower bounds. This requires quite a bit of skill in working with large mathematical formulas. The course I was involved in used the book Analysis of algorithms by Purdom and Brown. You can see the table of contents here. I was surprised at how much mathematics this book contained: for example, it has a manageable proof of Stirling's approximation that I struggled with in an undergraduate analysis course. In spite of being rather short, it is almost an encyclopedia in addition to being a textbook on the subject.
Sounds interesting!!!
With which criteria should someone chose this field?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
With which criteria should someone chose this field?
Well, if you enjoy solving recurrence relations and found the proof of Master theorem beautiful, or, more generally, like discrete mathematics and counting, that would be a reason to take this. However, probably more important concerns are your options for continuing your education and what type of career this leads to. The things to research are how much you like this field, what job you can get and how motivated and determined you are. You may not have or like all these things, but some of them can balance the lack of others. Concerning the subject itself, it seems to be quite technical and require mathematical maturity. It's a typical mathematical field with lots of estimates, bounds and formulas.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Would you suggest me the field "Algorithm and Systems Analysis" ? Could you give me some information about this field?
I have a Master's in Computer Science... but I have no idea what the field "Algorithm and Systems Analysis" is supposed to be... :eek:

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Well, if you enjoy solving recurrence relations and found the proof of Master theorem beautiful, or, more generally, like discrete mathematics and counting, that would be a reason to take this. However, probably more important concerns are your options for continuing your education and what type of career this leads to. The things to research are how much you like this field, what job you can get and how motivated and determined you are. You may not have or like all these things, but some of them can balance the lack of others. Concerning the subject itself, it seems to be quite technical and require mathematical maturity. It's a typical mathematical field with lots of estimates, bounds and formulas.
I think I have written wrong the name of the field, it is "Algorithmic and Systems Analysis".
What career options are there for example?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Master's in Computer Science... but I have no idea what the field "Algorithm and Systems Analysis" is supposed to be... :eek:
I think I have written wrong the name of the field, it is "Algorithmic and Systems Analysis".

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Having a master in this field, what career options do we have besides of becoming a teacher?