Master the Eigenvalue Algorithm for Math GRE Exams

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for quickly solving matrix computations on a standardized exam, with a focus on matrices that have special properties. The use of algorithms like Gauß elimination and online calculators is recommended for efficiency.
brydustin
I'm taking the math subject GRE in just over a year's time... and I was wondering if there are "ideal" algorithms to have in our tool box to do a computation like this quickly. Obviously the type of matrices in a standardized exam are going to be fairly clean or look dirty but have some less obvious property that makes the calculation trivial (if you see it).
I wouldn't recommend doing the secular determinant as this is slow on computers and for a person taking an exam. For example, there a few good methods if the matrix is 2*2 and real symmetric, which can save you a few seconds; but are there any good tricks in general.
Hum, sorry if this isn't very "precise".

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Master the Eigenvalue Algorithm for Math GRE Exams

1. What is the Eigenvalue Algorithm?

The Eigenvalue Algorithm is a mathematical method used to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a square matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra and is an important concept on the Math GRE exam.

2. Why is it important to master the Eigenvalue Algorithm for the Math GRE?

The Eigenvalue Algorithm is an essential concept for solving many types of problems on the Math GRE exam, including those related to linear transformations, diagonalization, and quadratic forms. Understanding and being able to apply this algorithm can greatly improve your score on the exam.

3. What are the steps involved in the Eigenvalue Algorithm?

The steps of the Eigenvalue Algorithm include finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix, solving for the roots of the polynomial (which are the eigenvalues), and then finding the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of equations using the eigenvalues.

4. How can I practice and improve my understanding of the Eigenvalue Algorithm?

There are many resources available for practicing and improving your understanding of the Eigenvalue Algorithm. These include practice problems and sample exams, as well as online tutorials and videos explaining the concept and its applications.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the Eigenvalue Algorithm?

One common mistake when using the Eigenvalue Algorithm is forgetting to check for repeated eigenvalues, which can affect the number of linearly independent eigenvectors and the diagonalization process. It is also important to carefully calculate and simplify the characteristic polynomial to avoid making errors in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.