Master Simple Harmonic Motion: Learn the Basics with Online Tutorials

In summary, mastering simple harmonic motion can be achieved through the use of online tutorials, which provide comprehensive and easy-to-follow lessons on the basics of this fundamental concept in physics. These tutorials cover the key principles and equations involved in simple harmonic motion, as well as real-world applications and examples. By following these tutorials, individuals can gain a strong understanding of this important concept and its relevance in various fields, including engineering, mechanics, and astronomy.
soldi3r
Hello, I am confused in some areas of this topic at school and i was wondering if you guys knew any good tutorials online that i could learn from. Tried a few sites but they are "wayyy" above my head.

The things i need to know is like, the angles in radians, diplacenment, acceleration, speed, damping etc.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm? I'm not sure if I understand what exactly you need to know about simple harmonic motion. What level are you at with math?

Tried a few sites but they are "wayyy" above my head.
I did a Google search and got dozens of good hits. Have you tried any of those ?

How are they above your head ?

level with maths? well not sure how to judge my self but I am my final year of school (year 13) and i take stats and calculus.

And when i mean over my head, the way they have explained is kinda of above my head. Like the examples shown on wikipedia.

-thanks

Have you tried the http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/shm.html" . Do you have a course text? I'm assuming that your doing your A-Levels, in which case many examination boards publish their own textbooks, which detail exactly what you need to know and explain concepts in the appropriate depth. You should be able to get your hands on a copy from your school (ask your tutor) or even at your local library.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Master Simple Harmonic Motion: Learn the Basics with Online Tutorials

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force. It follows a sinusoidal pattern and is characterized by a constant period and amplitude.

2. How can I learn the basics of simple harmonic motion?

You can learn the basics of simple harmonic motion by taking online tutorials. These tutorials provide interactive lessons, practice problems, and simulations to help you understand the concepts and equations involved in simple harmonic motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string.

4. What are the key equations for simple harmonic motion?

The key equations for simple harmonic motion are the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These are x = A cos(ωt), v = -ωA sin(ωt), and a = -ω²A cos(ωt), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.

5. Why is understanding simple harmonic motion important?

Understanding simple harmonic motion is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is applicable to many real-world situations. It also helps to understand more complex types of motion, such as waves and vibrations.