Master in applied mathematics, MA in math, and Ms in math?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in choosing a master's degree program in mathematics, with a preference for programs with less focus on proofs and more on applications. They are considering teaching at a community college or pursuing a career in industry, and may also be interested in pursuing a PhD in the future. They are also considering switching to engineering.
yan0821
Hello guys!
I really need some help here.
I will get my BA in mathematics in two months. I want to get a master degree in math online. However, I'm not sure what should I get. Here are three programs I saw. Master in applied mathematics, MA in math, and Ms in math. I'm not quite sure what exact they are.

Although my current GPA is 3.9, but I dislike proofs very much. I want to get a master with less proof courses involved. I like applications more.

Is proof course in master in master in applied mathematics?

I want to teach community college after get my master. At the same time, if I don't teach, I want to have some solid knowledge to get into industry.

I'm not sure if I want to get phd yet, but if so, which one should I get master in?

Does anyone know good online degree program?

I appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
An a half hour later you were planning on switching to engineering. I think you need to settle on what you want to do before figuring out how to do it.

Related to Master in applied mathematics, MA in math, and Ms in math?

1. What is the difference between a Master in Applied Mathematics, MA in Math, and MS in Math?

A Master in Applied Mathematics focuses on the application of mathematical theories and methods to solve real-world problems, while an MA in Math and MS in Math both have a more theoretical approach and focus on developing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Master in Applied Mathematics, MA in Math, or MS in Math?

Graduates with a Master in Applied Mathematics can pursue careers in industries such as finance, engineering, data science, and computer science. An MA in Math or MS in Math can lead to careers in academia, research, and technology.

3. Can I pursue a Master in Applied Mathematics, MA in Math, or MS in Math without a background in mathematics?

While having a strong foundation in mathematics is highly recommended for these programs, it is not always a requirement. Some universities may offer prerequisite courses for students without a strong background in math to help prepare them for the program.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master in Applied Mathematics, MA in Math, or MS in Math?

The duration of these programs can vary depending on the university and whether a student is studying full-time or part-time. On average, a Master in Applied Mathematics takes 1-2 years to complete, while an MA or MS in Math can take 2-3 years.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of mathematics with a Master in Applied Mathematics, MA in Math, or MS in Math?

Yes, many universities offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a specific area of mathematics, such as statistics, computational mathematics, or mathematical modeling, within these programs. This allows students to tailor their studies to their interests and career goals.