Massive Scalar Field in 2+1 Dimensions

In summary, the student is trying to solve for E in terms of t, but doesn't know how to do it. They are using a definition of Bessel functions that doesn't match what they are seeing in the equation.
xGAME-OVERx

Homework Statement

We wish to find, in 2+1 dimensions, the analogue of [itex] E = - \frac{1}{4\pi r} e^{-mr} [/itex] found in 3+1 dimensions. Here r is the spatial distance between two stationary disturbances in the field.

Homework Equations

In 3+1 we start from [itex] E = - \int \frac{ d^3 k }{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{ {\bf{k}}^2 + m^2 } e^{ i {\bf{k}} \cdot ( {\bf{x}}_1 - {\bf{x}}_2 ) } [/itex] where [itex] \bf{k} [/itex] is momentum, and [itex] \bf{x}_i [/itex] are the spatial locations of the two disturbances.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think in 2+1 we must use the equation [itex] E = - \int \frac{ d^2 k }{(2\pi)^2} \frac{1}{ {\bf{k}}^2 + m^2 } e^{ i {\bf{k}} \cdot ( {\bf{x}}_1 - {\bf{x}}_2 ) } [/itex]. I begin by transforming to polar coordinates, i.e. [itex] E = - \frac{1}{(2\pi)^2} \int_{0}^{\infty} dk \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta \frac{k}{ k^2 + m^2 } e^{ i k r \cos\theta } [/itex].

However, I am not sure what to do with this. As far as I know the theta integral can't be done in this form, and the r integral extends only down to 0, preventing it from being amenable to countour integration methods.

I tried a common trick of writing:

[itex] E = - \frac{1}{(2\pi)^2} \int_{0}^{\infty} dk \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \frac{1}{i\cos\theta} \frac{1}{ k^2 + m^2 } e^{ i k r \cos\theta } [/itex]

Which just makes the integral worse (I think). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
xGAME-OVERx said:
I think in 2+1 we must use the equation [itex] E = - \int \frac{ d^2 k }{(2\pi)^2} \frac{1}{ {\bf{k}}^2 + m^2 } e^{ i {\bf{k}} \cdot ( {\bf{x}}_1 - {\bf{x}}_2 ) } [/itex]. I begin by transforming to polar coordinates, i.e. [itex] E = - \frac{1}{(2\pi)^2} \int_{0}^{\infty} dk \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta \frac{k}{ k^2 + m^2 } e^{ i k r \cos\theta } [/itex].

However, I am not sure what to do with this. As far as I know the theta integral can't be done in this form, and the r integral extends only down to 0, preventing it from being amenable to countour integration methods.

Integration over [itex]\theta[/itex] gives you the Bessel function of the first kind.

This leave you with [itex] E = - \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{\infty} dk \frac{k}{k^2 + m^2} J_0 (kr)[/itex]

This I think is another Bessel function...Second Kind...I think. Look it up in a table.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't match any of the definitions I have seen for Bessel functions. May I ask which definition you are using?

Thanks
Scott

EDIT: Sorry, found it in Abramowitz & Stegun...

Last edited:
xGAME-OVERx said:
Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't match any of the definitions I have seen for Bessel functions. May I ask which definition you are using?

Thanks
Scott

EDIT: Sorry, found it in Abramowitz & Stegun...

Rewrite the integral in term of a new variable [itex]t = \cos\theta[/itex]. Then it conforms to the first integral representation here: http://functions.wolfram.com/Bessel-TypeFunctions/BesselJ/07/01/01/

I would suggest looking into the properties of the massive scalar field in 2+1 dimensions and how it differs from the 3+1 dimensional case. This could provide insight into how the equations and integrals may need to be modified in order to find the analogue of E = - \frac{1}{4\pi r} e^{-mr} in 2+1 dimensions. Additionally, exploring different mathematical techniques and approximations may also be helpful in solving the integral. Collaborating with other experts in the field may also lead to new ideas and approaches for finding a solution.

Related to Massive Scalar Field in 2+1 Dimensions

1. What is a massive scalar field in 2+1 dimensions?

A massive scalar field in 2+1 dimensions is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a field with a scalar (magnitude) value that varies in space and time, and has a non-zero mass. It exists in a 2-dimensional space with an additional dimension of time.

2. How is a massive scalar field different from a scalar field?

A scalar field has no mass, while a massive scalar field has a non-zero mass. This means that the massive scalar field interacts differently with other particles and can have a physical impact on its surroundings, unlike a scalar field which has no physical impact.

3. What are the applications of studying massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions?

Massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions have numerous applications in theoretical physics and cosmology. They can be used to study the behavior of particles and fields in curved spacetimes, as well as in the study of phase transitions and symmetry breaking in quantum field theories.

4. How are massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions studied?

Massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions are typically studied using mathematical models and equations, such as the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions. These models are then tested and refined through experiments and observations in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.

5. What are some current developments in the study of massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions?

Recent developments in the study of massive scalar fields in 2+1 dimensions include research on the role of these fields in the inflationary model of the early universe, as well as their potential connections to dark matter and dark energy. There is also ongoing research on the effects of gravity on massive scalar fields and their implications for general relativity.