Mass vs. Period: Should I Convert Grams to Kg?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not it is necessary to convert mass from grams to kilograms for a spring-mass system experiment. It is determined that the mass must be converted to kilograms for the correct results. The equation for period in this system is T = km^0.5 and the value of k differs if the mass is in grams or kilograms.
chroncile

Homework Statement

I did an experiment of mass vs. period and I got the mass in (g)rams and the period in seconds. My question is, do I have to convert the mass from grams to kilograms?

Homework Equations

N / A

The Attempt at a Solution

N / A

Physics news on Phys.org
Kilo could be thought of as 1000.

Kilogram>Gram, you want your number to decrease not get bigger.

Grams / 1000 = Kilograms

1000 grams / 1000 = 1kilogram

Okay, that doesn't answer my question though; I was asking if it's necessary to convert the mass from (g) to (kg) for the data in the lab report.

chroncile said:

Homework Statement

I did an experiment of mass vs. period and I got the mass in (g)rams and the period in seconds. My question is, do I have to convert the mass from grams to kilograms?

Homework Equations

N / A

The Attempt at a Solution

N / A
Mass vs. period of what? A pendulum or a spring-mass system? It makes a difference. What is the equation that gives the period for your system?

A spring-mass system. The equation is T = km^0.5 where k is a constant. The value of k differs if the mass is in grams or kilograms. That's why I need to know what to put mass as so that I get the right answer.

If it's a spring-mass system, you need to convert to kilograms.

Thank you so much :smile:

..Wait a minute "I know one thing - that I know no thing.". What?

I need help again, the equation I found was T = 1.12 * x^0.5

Do I write it as T = 1.12 * x^0.5 or T = 1.12 * sqrt0.5

You write it as

[tex]T=1.12*\sqrt{x}[/tex]
or
[tex]T=1.12*x^{1/2}[/tex]

Related to Mass vs. Period: Should I Convert Grams to Kg?

1. What is the relationship between mass and period?

The relationship between mass and period is that as mass increases, the period also increases. This means that objects with a larger mass will take longer to complete one full cycle of motion compared to objects with a smaller mass.

2. Why is it important to convert grams to kilograms when discussing mass and period?

It is important to convert grams to kilograms when discussing mass and period because kilograms are the standard unit for mass in the International System of Units (SI). Using consistent units allows for accurate and precise calculations and comparisons between different objects.

3. How do I convert grams to kilograms?

To convert grams to kilograms, divide the number of grams by 1000. For example, if an object has a mass of 500 grams, the equivalent mass in kilograms would be 0.5 kilograms.

4. Do all scientists use kilograms as the unit for mass?

Yes, most scientists use kilograms as the unit for mass. In the past, some scientists used other units such as grams or pounds, but the SI system has become the standard for scientific measurements.

5. Can I use other units of mass when discussing period?

While kilograms are the standard unit for mass, other units such as grams or pounds can also be used when discussing period. The important factor is to use consistent units when comparing or calculating period in relation to mass.