Mass spring system. Am I on the right track?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass at the end of a spring released from rest at position x_0 with natural frequency \omega. The experiment is repeated with the system immersed in a fluid causing overdamped motion with damping coefficient \gamma. The ratio of maximum speed in the undamped case is calculated to be x_0 \omega, while the ratio in the overdamped case is found to be \frac{\gamma x_0 (\omega_0-\gamma)}{\sqrt{2\gamma^2 +\omega^2}}. Further calculations are needed to determine the ratio in the limit of strong damping and critical damping.
Xyius

Homework Statement

A mass at the end of a spring with natural frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] is released from rest at position [itex]x_0[/itex]. The experiment is repeated byut now with the system immersed in a fluid that causes the motion to be overdamped with damping coefficient [itex]\gamma[/itex]. Find the ratio of the maximum speed in the former case to that in the latter. What is the ratio in the limit of strong damping? [itex]\gamma >>\omega[/itex] In the limit of critical damping?

2. The attempt at a solution
Right now I am in need with the first part as after I get this I think I should be fine with the other two parts. I just need to know if I am on the right track with my thought process.

So first I solve the undamped case (Which is frictionless).

[tex]-kx=x''m[/tex]
This leads to the solution..
[tex]x(t)=x_0 cos(\omega t)[/tex]
Taking the derivative and setting sine equal to 1, this has a max velocity of..
[tex]v_{max}=x_0 \omega[/tex]

This next part is the part I am unsure about. In the damped case, I solve the following differential equation..
[tex]x''m+bx'+kx=0[/tex]
And obtain a solution of..
[tex]x(t)=x_0 e^{-\gamma t}cos(\omega_0 t)+\frac{\gamma x_0}{\omega_0}e^{-\gamma t}sin(\omega_0 t)[/tex]
Where..
[tex]\gamma=\frac{b}{2m}[/tex]
and
[tex]\omega_0=\sqrt{\gamma^2+\omega^2}[/tex]

So my guess as to what I do next is to find the maximum of this velocity by differentiating x(t) twice and setting it equal to zero and getting a value of t. Then plug that value in and get a value of v. Doing all this I get a velocity of..
[tex]\frac{\gamma x_0 (\omega_0-\gamma)}{\sqrt{2\gamma^2 +\omega^2}}[/tex]

So the ratio would just be this value over the value I got in the frictionless case would it not? Something is telling me this isn't correct.

I apologize for not showing all my work, as it was a lot of work and would take forever for me to type up the code. If need by ill type it up in my Math Type program and post the image.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before doing so as it is a lot of work.Thank you for any help!

Related to Mass spring system. Am I on the right track?

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass (or multiple masses) attached to a spring. The mass is able to move back and forth due to the force exerted by the spring.

2. How does a mass spring system work?

A mass spring system works by utilizing Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass attached to it. As the mass moves, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the mass to oscillate back and forth.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a mass spring system?

The behavior of a mass spring system is influenced by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations.

4. What is the purpose of studying mass spring systems?

Studying mass spring systems can help us understand and predict the behavior of various physical systems, such as pendulums and bridges. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

5. How can I determine the equilibrium position of a mass spring system?

The equilibrium position of a mass spring system can be determined by finding the point at which the force exerted by the spring on the mass is equal to the force of gravity on the mass. This is typically when the spring is at its natural length and the mass is not moving.