Mass slides on loop-the-loop track, find original height.

In summary, when dealing with weight and mass, treat w as a force and not a mass. This solves the equation for v correctly.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/b7y3Khb

A small cart slides without friction on the loop-the-loop track, as shown, starting from rest at initial height h. The weight of the cart is W. When the cart is at the point A --- the top of the loop --- the force on the track is 0.6 W. Then what was the initial height h?
Data: W = 111.0 N; R = 16.2 m.

Homework Equations

Ek=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2
Eu=mgh
Centripetal force = [itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can find the kinetic energy at the given point I can then solve for v. With v, which contains h, I can use the equation for centripetal force to solve for h.

m=w
I know the original potential energy = wgh

The potential at the point of interest is = 2Rwg

Thus the kinetic energy = (original)-(current) = wgh-2Rwg = mg(h-2R) = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]wv2

Thus v=[itex]\sqrt{2g(h-2R)}[/itex]

Plugging v into the equation for centripetal force I get

Force Centripetal = [itex]\frac{2gw(h-2R)}{r}[/itex]

I think this is where I am messing up:

The force on the object is equal to 0.6w and the only two forces acting on the object are the loop and gravity.

0.6w= [Force Centripetal]-[Force Gravity] ?

Fc=0.6w+Fg => [itex]\frac{2gw(h-2R)}{r}[/itex]=.6w+wg

Solving that for h:

h=[itex]\frac{3(5gR+R)}{10g}[/itex]

Plugging in the known values I get h=24.8m which is wrong. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
oddjobmj said:
m=w

Mass and weight are different concepts.

Note how in your final answer: h=[itex]\frac{3(5gR+R)}{10g}[/itex] you have 5gR added to R. But these quantities have different dimensions (or units). This shows something is wrong and it's due to taking m = w.

Otherwise, your work looks good.

Likes 1 person
oddjobmj said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/b7y3Khb

A small cart slides without friction on the loop-the-loop track, as shown, starting from rest at initial height h. The weight of the cart is W. When the cart is at the point A --- the top of the loop --- the force on the track is 0.6 W. Then what was the initial height h?
Data: W = 111.0 N; R = 16.2 m.

Homework Equations

Ek=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2
Eu=mgh
Centripetal force = [itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can find the kinetic energy at the given point I can then solve for v. With v, which contains h, I can use the equation for centripetal force to solve for h.

m=w
I'm not following you there. If w is the weight, then w = mg.

I know the original potential energy = wgh
You threw an extra g in there, but g is included in the weight. It's not necessary to put it in there again.

original potential energy = wh

The potential at the point of interest is = 2Rwg
2Rw

Thus the kinetic energy = (original)-(current) = wgh-2Rwg = mg(h-2R) = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]wv2
I would say,

w(h - 2R) = ½(w/g)v2.

Thus v=[itex]\sqrt{2g(h-2R)}[/itex]
Your expression for v is correct. :smile:

Plugging v into the equation for centripetal force I get

Force Centripetal = [itex]\frac{2gw(h-2R)}{r}[/itex]
You have an extra g in there.

I think this is where I am messing up:

The force on the object is equal to 0.6w and the only two forces acting on the object are the loop and gravity.

0.6w= [Force Centripetal]-[Force Gravity] ?

Fc=0.6w+Fg => [itex]\frac{2gw(h-2R)}{r}[/itex]=.6w+wg
And that's where things make a difference, when treating weight as mass.

So far you've been equating mass and weight, and it comes to bite back here. If you are treating w as mass, then 0.6w is also a mass, and wg is a force. You're mixing mass and force.

Instead, treat w, the weight, as a force; don't treat it as a mass.

That gives you, on the right hand side of the equation, 0.6w + w

I'll let you take it from there.

[Edit: TSny beat me to the response.]

Likes 1 person

Related to Mass slides on loop-the-loop track, find original height.

1. How do you determine the original height of a mass on a loop-the-loop track?

The original height of a mass on a loop-the-loop track can be determined by using the conservation of energy principle. This involves equating the potential energy of the mass at the top of the loop with the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy at the bottom of the loop.

2. What factors affect the calculation of the original height in a mass on a loop-the-loop track?

The factors that affect the calculation of the original height in a mass on a loop-the-loop track include the mass of the object, the radius of the loop, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the original height be calculated using only the mass and velocity of the object?

No, the calculation of the original height also requires the radius of the loop and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors are necessary to determine the potential energy of the mass at the top of the loop.

4. Is the calculation of the original height affected by the shape of the loop-the-loop track?

Yes, the shape of the loop-the-loop track can affect the calculation of the original height. A circular loop will have a different radius compared to a non-circular loop, which will impact the potential energy and ultimately the height calculation.

5. What are some potential sources of error in determining the original height of a mass on a loop-the-loop track?

Potential sources of error in determining the original height of a mass on a loop-the-loop track include human error in measuring the radius of the loop and the velocity of the object, as well as friction and air resistance which can affect the motion of the mass.