Mass & Radiation 3D Distribution in the Universe

In summary, the question is asking for a comprehensive estimate of the distribution of mass and radiation in the universe, including within inter-galactic space and within galaxies. The person asking the question has done some research but has not been able to find a complete answer. They have come across an article that states black holes contain the majority of the mass in the universe, which has intrigued them. However, they have not been able to find a reference for this claim.
Islam Hassan
TL;DR Summary
How much of the universe’s mass and radiation is estimated to be where
What percentage of the universe’s A) total mass —including dark matter— and B) radiation energy is estimated to reside in:
  • Inter-galactic space covering i) inter-galactic medium and ii) distinct inter-galactic astronomical objects; and
  • Galaxies covering iii) inter-stellar gas clouds, iv) stars, v) planets, vi) black holes + AGN’s and vii) other inter-stellar astronomical objects?

IH

Space news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on this prior to asking the question here? If so, what have you found?

Likes PeterDonis
Yes I have, some time ago and I substantially found nothing. I was intrigued by an article I once read somewhere on the net that said that black holes contained the majority of the mass in the universe, which seemed odd. This question has been on my mind since then...recently I said to myself let's try PhysicsForums...

I tried with terms other than "mass/radiation distribution" too because replies to such searches yield composition in terms of ordinary matter, dark matter, dark energy. Localised matter distribution is not easy to find. The Wiki article on inter-galactic medium here does give a % (40%-50%) but for baryonic matter only. I have not come across any reference that provides a complete, comprehensive % estimate of localised mass/radiation distribution.

Perhaps it's a question of terminology; what should one use instead of mass/radiation 'distribution' as a search term?IH

Islam Hassan said:
I once read somewhere on the net that said that black holes contained the majority of the mass in the universe, which seemed odd.
Black holes contain most of of entropy.

Nevertheless, it has intrigued you to another question.
I suppose you have found articles such as the following
http://chartsbin.com/view/yuc#:~:text=Composition of the Universe , 1 more rows

Islam Hassan said:
an article I once read somewhere on the net

Can you give a reference? There are lots of random things "somewhere on the net".

1. What is the relationship between mass and radiation in the universe?

The distribution of mass and radiation in the universe is closely linked. Mass is responsible for the gravitational pull that shapes the large-scale structure of the universe, while radiation, such as light and other electromagnetic waves, carries information about the distribution of mass. In fact, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, is used to map out the distribution of mass in the early universe.

2. How is the 3D distribution of mass and radiation in the universe studied?

Astronomers use a variety of techniques to study the 3D distribution of mass and radiation in the universe. These include observations of galaxies and galaxy clusters, which are used to map out the large-scale structure of the universe. In addition, telescopes and satellites are used to study the cosmic microwave background radiation and other forms of radiation to understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What is the significance of studying the 3D distribution of mass and radiation in the universe?

Studying the 3D distribution of mass and radiation in the universe allows us to understand the evolution of the universe, from its early stages to its current state. It also helps us to better understand the properties of dark matter and dark energy, which make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy, respectively. Additionally, studying the distribution of radiation allows us to learn more about the origins of the universe and the processes that have shaped it over billions of years.

4. How does the distribution of mass and radiation vary across the universe?

The distribution of mass and radiation in the universe is not uniform. Instead, it varies across different scales, from the large-scale structure of galaxies and galaxy clusters to the small-scale structure of individual stars and planets. The distribution also changes over time, as the universe continues to expand and evolve. This variation in distribution is a key aspect of understanding the formation and evolution of the universe.

5. What are some current research topics related to mass and radiation 3D distribution in the universe?

Some current research topics in this field include studying the effects of dark matter and dark energy on the large-scale structure of the universe, investigating the role of radiation in the formation of galaxies, and using advanced techniques to map out the distribution of matter and energy in the early universe. Other areas of research include studying the properties of dark matter and dark energy, as well as exploring the potential connections between the distribution of mass and radiation and the origins of the universe.