Mass pulling another, rotating, mass

In summary, we have a cylinder rolling without friction and we need to find the acceleration of m, the angular acceleration of M, and the tension. Using Shteiner's theorem and the equations for torque and moment of inertia, we can find the acceleration of m and the angular acceleration of M. Assuming the cylinder rolls without slipping, we can also find the tension in the system. The resulting equations and solution show that the cylinder's center of mass has an acceleration of 4mg/3M+8m, and the cylinder's angular acceleration is 2r^2mg/Ic+Mr^2+4mr^2. The tension is equal to m(g-2x_c).
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg
[/B]
The cylinder rolls without friction. what's m's acceleration, M's angular acceleration and the tension.

Homework Equations

Shteiner's theorem: ##I_c=I_{c.o.m.}+Mr^2##
Torque and angular acceleration: ##M=I\alpha##
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder: ##I_{cen}=\frac{mr^2}{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I denote the center variables with c
Kinematics (or geometry? which discipline is suitable for this relation):
$$x_c=\omega r~~\rightarrow~~\dot x_c=\alpha r~~\rightarrow~~\alpha=\frac{\dot x_c}{r}$$
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mg-T=m\dot x_A~~\rightarrow~~T=m(g-\dot x_A)=m(g-2\dot x_c) \\ 2r\cdot T=I_B\frac{\dot x_c}{r} \end{array} \right.$$
$$\rightarrow~\dot x_c=\frac{2r^2mg}{I_B+4mr^2}=\frac{2r^2mg}{I_c+Mr^2+4mr^2}=\frac{2r^2mg}{\frac{Mr^2}{2}+(M+4m)r^2}=\frac{4mg}{3M+8m}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant "rolls without slipping".
Your use of x for velocity instead of displacement is unusual, but quite OK.
Your working and answer look right to me.

Thank you very much Haruspex

Related to Mass pulling another, rotating, mass

1. What is the concept of "Mass pulling another, rotating, mass"?

The concept refers to the phenomenon where a larger mass is able to pull and rotate a smaller mass due to the force of gravity.

2. How does mass affect the pulling and rotating of another mass?

The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational force it exerts on other objects, allowing it to pull and rotate smaller masses more easily.

3. Is there a limit to how much mass can be pulled and rotated by another mass?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of mass that can be pulled and rotated by another mass. This limit is determined by the strength of the gravitational force and the distance between the two masses.

4. What other factors besides mass can affect the pulling and rotating of objects?

Other factors that can affect the pulling and rotating of objects include the distance between the objects, the shape and density of the objects, and the presence of other external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How is the concept of "Mass pulling another, rotating, mass" used in real-life applications?

This concept is used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as the orbit of planets around the sun, the rotation of galaxies, and the movement of objects on Earth's surface due to its gravitational pull.