Mass Pulley Acceleration Problem

In summary, a system of equations can be used to find the acceleration of mass m1 in a system where it is connected by a light cord to mass m2 on a smooth surface. The pulley in the system has a moment of inertia and a radius, and the cord is assumed to not slip on the pulley. By drawing free body diagrams and using the equations for torque and net force, the acceleration of m1 can be solved for. The correct answer is 3.13 m/s^2.
Leeoku

Homework Statement

A m2 = 4.63 kg mass is connected by a light cord to a m1 = 2.10 kg mass on a smooth surface (see the figure below).The pulley rotates about a frictionless axle and has a moment of inertia of 0.513 kg•m2 and a radius of 0.257 m. Assuming that the cord does not slip on the pulley, find the acceleration of m1.
15ecl94.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque = I*alpha = F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD Mass 1
F_net = Tension 2... mass1*a = Tension 2
FBD Mass 2
F_net = mg-T1
T1 = mass2*g- mass2*a

Torque = I*alpha
Torque_1+Torque_2 = I*alpha
Tension_1+Tension_2 = I*alpha/r

and now I am stuck. Correct answer is 3.13 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Leeoku said:

Homework Statement

A m2 = 4.63 kg mass is connected by a light cord to a m1 = 2.10 kg mass on a smooth surface (see the figure below).The pulley rotates about a frictionless axle and has a moment of inertia of 0.513 kg•m2 and a radius of 0.257 m. Assuming that the cord does not slip on the pulley, find the acceleration of m1.
15ecl94.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque = I*alpha = F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD Mass 1
F_net = Tension 2... mass1*a = Tension 2
FBD Mass 2
F_net = mg-T1
T1 = mass2*g- mass2*a

Torque = I*alpha
Torque_1+Torque_2 = I*alpha
Tension_1+Tension_2 = I*alpha/r

and now I am stuck. Correct answer is 3.13 m/s^2
You have noted 3 equations with 4 unknowns (alpha, a, T1 and T2).. You need a 4th that relates a and alpha. Also, watch your signage in your second and third equations.

Draw three free body diagrams; one for each mass and one for the pulley.

cant i just convert the alpha to a/r to get I*a/r^2. but then i don't get how to eliminate the massses.

Tension 2 takes the weight of both so... its (M1+M2)g
Tension one would be Tension 2 - mass2*g

im not sure if my logic is right

You just need to solve the system of equations.

Leeoku said:
cant i just convert the alpha to a/r to get I*a/r^2. but then i don't get how to eliminate the massses.

Tension 2 takes the weight of both so... its (M1+M2)g
Tension one would be Tension 2 - mass2*g

im not sure if my logic is right
No, it's not.

Now, get on with drawing the free body diagrams.

You had 3 of the 4 equations correct in your original post, except for a signage error, and you now have the 4th equation relating a and alpha. So correct your sign error, and, as jhae2.718 notes, solve the equations. Plug in the values of m1 and m2 before solving; they are given, so make life easier for you.

Related to Mass Pulley Acceleration Problem

1. What is a 2 mass pulley question?

A 2 mass pulley question is a physics problem that involves two masses connected by a pulley system and asks for the acceleration, tension, or other related quantities in the system.

2. How do I solve a 2 mass pulley question?

To solve a 2 mass pulley question, you will need to apply the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the equations for calculating force, acceleration, and tension. You will also need to consider the mass and geometry of the system.

3. What are the assumptions made in a 2 mass pulley question?

The assumptions made in a 2 mass pulley question may include negligible friction in the pulley system, the masses being point masses, and the pulley being massless and frictionless. These assumptions may vary depending on the specific problem.

4. Can a 2 mass pulley question have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 2 mass pulley question can have multiple solutions depending on the given parameters and constraints. It is important to carefully consider all the variables and equations to arrive at a correct and logical solution.

5. How can I check if my solution to a 2 mass pulley question is correct?

You can check your solution to a 2 mass pulley question by plugging in your calculated values into the equations and verifying that they satisfy the given constraints and conditions. You can also try solving the problem using different methods to see if you arrive at the same solution.