Mass of Pion in Gev/c^2: Calculate and Convert

• Thread starter Abby D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pions
In summary, the mass of a pion is 2.5x10^-28kg. To calculate the mass of a pion in Gev/c^2, you can use the formula 1 Gev/c^2 = 1.78x10^-27 kg. To calculate the energy equivalent in the mass of a pion, you can use the formula E=mc^2, where m is the mass of the pion and c is the speed of light.
Abby D
The mass of a pion is 2.5x10^-28kg.
Calculate the mass of a pion in Gev/c^2. I really don't understand how to do these, as I always divide/multiply the wrong numbers etc.
Does anyone have any ways to remember which way round you do it? (1eV = 1.6x10^-19J) I get confused whether to times or divide by this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Abby D said:
The mass of a pion is 2.5x10^-28kg.
Calculate the mass of a pion in Gev/c^2.I really don't understand how to do these, as I always divide/multiply the wrong numbers etc.
Does anyone have any ways to remember which way round you do it? (1eV = 1.6x10^-19J) I get confused whether to times or divide by this.

Thanks!

How would you calculate how much energy equivalent is in the mass of a pion? What formula would you use?

Related to Mass of Pion in Gev/c^2: Calculate and Convert

1. What is the mass of a pion in GeV/c^2?

The mass of a pion is approximately 0.139570 GeV/c^2.

2. How is the mass of a pion calculated?

The mass of a pion is calculated using the equation E=mc^2, where E is the energy of the pion and c is the speed of light. The energy of a pion can be determined through experiments and then converted to mass using this equation.

3. How does the mass of a pion compare to other particles?

The mass of a pion is relatively light compared to other particles. For example, the mass of a proton is approximately 0.938 GeV/c^2, while the mass of a pion is only about 1/7 of that. Additionally, the mass of a pion is similar to the mass of a kaon, another type of meson particle.

4. Can the mass of a pion be converted to other units?

Yes, the mass of a pion can be converted to other units such as kilograms or electron volts (eV). However, the most commonly used unit for particle masses is GeV/c^2, which is equivalent to 1.783×10^-27 kilograms.

5. Why is the mass of a pion important?

The mass of a pion is important because it is a fundamental property of this particle and provides insight into its behavior and interactions with other particles. Additionally, studying the mass of a pion can help us understand the larger picture of particle physics and the fundamental forces of the universe.