Mass of Atom in a Mass Spectrometer

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a mass spectrometer to determine the mass of a doubly ionized atom of a single element. The formula for the charge-to-mass ratio of an ion in a mass spectrometer is used, and the necessary steps to solve for mass are discussed. The final answer obtained is very small, indicating the small mass of an atom in kg. The formula is derived using the concepts of kinetic energy and magnetic force.
JonHO

Homework Statement

A mass spectrometer yields the following data for a beam of doubly ionized atoms of a single element.

B = 8.0*10^-2 T
q = 2(1.60*10^-19 C)
r = 0.077 m
V = 156 V

I am asked to solve for Mass (m) in kg.

Homework Equations

q/m=((2V)/((B^2)*(r^2)))

I am only partially sure that this is the correct equation. It is the equation for the "Charge-to-Mass Ratio of an Ion in a Mass Spectrometer".

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to rearange the equation, but my Algebra skills aren't very good. This is what I ended up with:

m=q/(2V)/((B^2)*(r^2))

I tried to work this out with my calculator, but my answer was incorrect.

The number I got was very small: ~3.89*10^-28

EDIT:

Tried to use this instead: m=(q(B^2)(r^2))/(2V)

Still, my answer was far too small, at ~3.89*10^-26

My comprehension of both Physics and Algebra is limited at best. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show how do you calculate. And do not forget the units. What do you think, how much is the mass of an atom in kg-s?

Your original formula is :

[tex]\frac{q}{m}=\frac{2V}{r^2 B^2}[/tex]

Plug in the numbers and simplify.
ehild

Last edited:
I was wondering how you guys obtained that formula.

The ion is accelerated by an electric field. Flying through a potential difference V, it gains kinetic energy equal to qV

1/2 mv^2=qV.

It enters into the chamber of the mass spectrometer, where the magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity. The magnetic force is

F=qvB.

This is a constant force, normal to the velocity, so the ion will move along a circle of radius R.
The centripetal force for the circular motion is equal to the force of the magnetic field:

(*) mv^2/R = qvB

but you know that mv^2= 2qV, so

2qV=RqvB --->v=2V/(RB).

(*) can be written as q/m=v/(RB). Plug in the expression for v.

ehild

oh ok that makes sense. I hadn't thought of kinetic energy/work relationship as a way to substitute for speed. thanks!

Related to Mass of Atom in a Mass Spectrometer

1. What is a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass of atoms and molecules. It works by ionizing a sample, separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and recording the results.

2. How does a mass spectrometer measure the mass of an atom?

A mass spectrometer measures the mass of an atom by first ionizing the sample, which means removing one or more electrons to create a positively charged ion. Then, the positively charged ions are accelerated through an electric field and deflected by a magnetic field. The amount of deflection depends on the mass-to-charge ratio of the ions, which allows the instrument to determine the mass of the atom.

3. What is the difference between atomic mass and mass-to-charge ratio?

Atomic mass refers to the mass of an atom in atomic mass units (amu). It is the sum of the masses of the protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom. Mass-to-charge ratio, on the other hand, is the ratio of an ion's mass to its charge. It is a unitless quantity and is used in mass spectrometry to identify and measure the mass of ions.

4. How accurate are mass spectrometers in measuring the mass of atoms?

Mass spectrometers are highly accurate in measuring the mass of atoms. They are capable of measuring the mass of an atom to within 0.0000000001 amu. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the type of mass spectrometer and the sample being analyzed.

5. What are the applications of mass spectrometry?

Mass spectrometry has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, biology, forensics, and environmental science. It is used to identify and quantify compounds in a sample, determine the structure of molecules, and study the composition of complex mixtures. It is also used in quality control and drug development processes.