Mass of an electron lab discussion?

In summary: If we take the magnitude of these two KE's we can work out the radius of the path and hence the mass of an electron.
Wh1994

Homework Statement

Hi, I did a lab for a high school physics class where we measured the mass of an electron using a solenoid and our working equation was this:

m = qB2R2/2V

I was able to do the lab and get good results, but I have discussion questions I don't know how to answer. I can't figure it out. Here are the questions:

Would it be possible to use the Earth's magnetic field to deflect the beam? How large a tube would you need? Assuming the Earth had no magnetic field, would it be practical to determine the mass of an electron by accelerating it horizontally through a known potential difference and subsequently observing its deflection in the Earth's gravitational field?

Homework Equations

e/m ratio?

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent about 2 hours last night trying to think about this problem... I can't figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
Your instructor wants you to try to understand your formula, which is based on a few ostensibly disparate concepts that have been combined for you into a neat little package. (Physicists get such a kick out of deriving equations like the one you used in your lab to calculate the mass from the measured parameters). I will lay out the basic physics principles that come into play, first conceptually, and I hope that this will give you a good direction.

Newton's Second Law: force acting on the electron causes it to accelerate, and this acceleration is impeded by the mass of the electron. What is the nature of this acceleration (i.e. speeding up, slowing down, changing direction, or a combination)? Think about the path of the electron: was is straight or curved. Did you measure a rate of CHANGE in speed? What is the origin of the force? The mass of the electron is probably the m in your formula.

centripetal motion: this motion is characterized by a changing direction, and therefore an acceleration, and therefore requires a force. The radius of the circular path here is probably the R in your formula. The speed of the electron is probably the V in your formula.

magnetic force: this is imposed on a charged particle that moves through a magnetic field. The field strength is probably the B in your formula, and the charge is probably the q in your formula.

I think the equation you have quoted relates to a well known demonstration. The electrons are accelerated through a voltage V then pass into a region between 2 large coils (your solenoid) These coils are known as Helmholtz coils and produce a uniform magnetic field, B.
This field causes the electrons to travel in a circular path of radius,r, because the force due to the magnetic field is the centripetal force for the electrons.
The magnetic field is calculated from the dimensions of the helmholtz coils and the current flowing through them. If you compare the field you calculated with the Earth's magnetic field it should give you some idea of the radius of the path followed by the electrons in the Earth's field and hence the size of the container.
Do you see how the equation comes about by considering the KE gained by the electrons in the accelerating voltage and the force due to the magnetic field being the centripetal force?

Related to Mass of an electron lab discussion?

1. What is the purpose of the "Mass of an electron" lab?

The purpose of the "Mass of an electron" lab is to determine the mass of an electron using the Millikan oil drop experiment. This experiment allows us to measure the charge of an electron and use it to calculate its mass.

2. How is the mass of an electron calculated in this lab?

In this lab, the mass of an electron is calculated using the charge of an electron, which is measured using the Millikan oil drop experiment. The charge of an electron is then used in combination with other known constants, such as the mass of an oil drop and the gravitational force, to calculate the mass of an electron.

3. What is the significance of determining the mass of an electron?

Determining the mass of an electron is significant because it is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms. It also allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and electronics.

4. How does the Millikan oil drop experiment work?

The Millikan oil drop experiment works by observing the motion of charged oil droplets between two charged plates. By changing the voltage applied to the plates, the electric force acting on the droplets can be balanced with the force of gravity. This allows us to measure the charge of an electron and use it to calculate its mass.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include air currents affecting the motion of the oil droplets, variations in the electric field, and inconsistencies in the measurements. It is essential to control these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.