Mass not sliding on a smooth, accelerating base

In summary, the acceleration of the mass M must be equal to g times the tangent of the angle alpha in order for the mass m to stay in place on the smooth triangle. This can be determined using Newton's second law, F=ma. It is suggested to first find the acceleration of the block when the ramp is not moving.
Karol

Homework Statement

Mass m lays on the smooth triangle of mass M. what is the acceleration of M so that m will stay in place.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law: ##F=ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\tan\alpha=\frac{ma}{mg}\;\rightarrow\; a=g\tan\alpha$$

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to determine the acceleration of the block if the ramp is not moving first, down the slope.

Looks right to me, is your answer supposed to be wrong?

Nathanael said:
Looks right to me, is your answer supposed to be wrong?
It's one of the possible answers but the other answers are complicated and include M. it's logical that my answer is correct since it's a short quiz, not a long exam

Related to Mass not sliding on a smooth, accelerating base

What is meant by "mass not sliding on a smooth, accelerating base"?

This refers to a scenario where an object with mass is placed on a smooth surface that is accelerating, but the object does not move or slide along the surface.

What causes a mass to not slide on a smooth, accelerating base?

This phenomenon occurs when there is enough friction between the object and the smooth surface to counteract the force of acceleration.

What factors affect whether a mass will slide or not on a smooth, accelerating base?

The amount of friction between the object and the surface, as well as the magnitude of the acceleration, will determine whether the object slides or not. Additionally, the mass and shape of the object can also play a role.

Can a mass ever slide on a smooth, accelerating base?

Yes, if the force of acceleration is greater than the force of friction, the object will slide along the surface.

How does the angle of the base affect whether a mass will slide or not?

The angle of the base can affect the amount of friction acting on the object. If the base is angled downwards, the force of gravity may increase the amount of friction and prevent the object from sliding. However, if the base is angled upwards, the force of gravity may decrease the amount of friction and allow the object to slide.