Mass Needed to Accelerate a Box Along a Pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass needed to accelerate a box with a weight inside, taking into account friction and a pulley system. The individual is having trouble calculating the mass and asks for help understanding the equations involved. They also clarify that the force of friction is not needed in the calculation and ask for confirmation on their proposed solution. The expert suggests starting with free body diagrams and using equations of motion to solve for the mass. They also suggest using a different notation to avoid confusion.
NamikazeBurst

Homework Statement

Okay, so I am given an acceleration that I need to accelerate a box-thingy, along with a weight inside. Friction is included. I need to come up with a mass that is connected through a pulley to the box. This mass has to accelerate the box at the given acceleration.

I am not asking for the exact mass I need for my need acceleration. I just want to know how to get that mass.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
##F_g = m_g##
##F_n = F_g##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble figuring out what mass I need. I know the 'driving force' is ##F_g## (mass I need * 9.8). The resisting forces I believe are the ##F_g## of the box (box total mass * 9.8) and the friction force (I am told I don't need the coefficient).

To get the friction force, I pulled the box with a Newton Spring Scale, and subtracted the net force I want (F=ma) from the pulling force. My equation for acceleration ended up being:

a = (mBg - mAg - Ff) / mT

Where the mBg is the force from the unknown mass, mAg is the force of gravity on the box, Ff is the friction force, and mT is total mass of the system.

Plugging my numbers in after rearranging for mB, I ended up getting a small mass (~0.5kg), and I do not believe that would accelerate the box to the rate I need.

What did I do wrong? Is the one force (Fg of box) supposed to be mAgsinθ (where θ = 0 degrees)? Was the friction force wrong? Did I completely mess up? Please help, and thanks!

Diagram for reference:

Diagram

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try starting off with FBDs for both bodies, and from that, write the equations of motion.

Dr.D said:
Try starting off with FBDs for both bodies, and from that, write the equations of motion.

Okay. So for the box, the force responsible for its acceleration is the tension, and it is reduced by friction for the net force in x. For the mass, it accelerates due to gravity, so mg, and the net force is mg less the tension force.

The equation for the tension force is:
Ft = m2(g-a)
Mass 2 is the mass I need to find.

The equation for the acceleration of the box is:
a = Ft - Ff / m1.

Subbing in the the equation for tension gives:
a = (m2(g-a) - Ff) / m1

Rearrange for m2 and I get:
m2 = (m1a + Ff) / (g - a)

Is this correct? If so, I still need the force due to friction. My teacher said I didn't need the kinetic coefficient, so there has to be a way to just calculate friction. If I calculate the net force I need to accelerate it at my given acceleration using the mass of the box, and I use the spring scale to calculate the force of kinetic friction by moving the box at a constant speed, would the addition of them be the force I need to achieve the correct acceleration? Doing that gives me a pretty small mass (~0.8kg), and that doesn't seem right to me.

I don't see any FBDs.

Dr.D said:
I don't see any FBDs.

My first little paragraph was based off of FBDs I drew. But, here they are in internet-form.

FBDs

Edit: Wait... if it took 5N to move the box at constant speed, the friction was 5N. That gives me a mass of 1.436kg instead.

Last edited:
Your FBDs show two Fg values; you need a different notation that will not confuse you or anyone else.

Dr.D said:
Your FBDs show two Fg values; you need a different notation that will not confuse you or anyone else.

The Fg on Mass B is mBg, while Fg on the box cancels out with the normal force on the box, so the only Fg involved is FgB. Ignoring that, is this equation correct?
m2 = (m1a + Ff) / (g - a) with friction being the force that the Newton Spring Scale showed when pulling at a constant speed?

Related to Mass Needed to Accelerate a Box Along a Pulley

1. How do you calculate the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley?

The mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the force is the weight of the box and the acceleration is the desired speed. By rearranging the equation to solve for mass (m), we can determine the necessary mass needed to achieve the desired acceleration.

2. What factors affect the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley?

The mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley is affected by several factors, including the weight of the box, the friction between the box and the pulley, and the desired speed of acceleration. Additionally, the type of pulley system being used, such as a single or double pulley, can also impact the amount of mass needed.

3. Can the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley be reduced?

Yes, the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley can be reduced by increasing the force applied to the box or decreasing the desired acceleration. This can be achieved by using a more efficient pulley system or by reducing the friction between the box and the pulley.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the mass needed to accelerate a box?

The angle of the pulley can have a significant impact on the mass needed to accelerate a box. As the angle of the pulley increases, the force needed to accelerate the box also increases. This means that a greater mass will be needed to achieve the desired acceleration.

5. Is the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley the same as the mass needed to decelerate it?

No, the mass needed to accelerate a box along a pulley is not necessarily the same as the mass needed to decelerate it. This is because during deceleration, the force needed to slow down the box is different from the force needed to speed it up. Additionally, factors such as friction and the angle of the pulley can also affect the mass needed for acceleration and deceleration.