Mass in eV over speed of light

In summary, when calculating the energy in electronvolts over speed of light squared, one should divide the result by c2. Additionally, Schrodinger's equation is non-relativistic, so one should use the natural units convention of eV for mass, momentum, and wavelength.
Avatrin
Hi!
I know the mass of, for instance, an electron can be express in units of electronvolts over speed of light squared. However, I am not sure how to use it. When I have to calculate [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/itex], do I have to multiply m with the speed of light squared to get it in meters per second squared? Or, divide? Yes, I am a little confused.

PS. Energy is given in electronvolts, and Planck's reduced constant is given in electronvolt seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, but, E is in electronvolts. Also, I have other constants that I need to calculate as well. Would you recommend me to convert all potentials and energies to joules?

Lets say that is not possible. It is exam, and I have to write a code on paper that works (which does happen here).

Starting with E = mc2, then m = E/c2, and one can express E in eV, or MeV, and divide it by c2.

So mE leads to (E/c2), or (E/c)2.

Note k = p/ħ

Units should be consistent.

Likes bhobba
Can I do that? I mean, isn't that only valid if my particle is not moving? My particle is moving. I think the mass I am using is the rest mass, but the energy certainly is not that of a still particle.

I should probably provide some context; I encounter this issue whenever I have to program some solution to the Schrodinger equation.

Avatrin said:
Can I do that? I mean, isn't that only valid if my particle is not moving? My particle is moving. I think the mass I am using is the rest mass, but the energy certainly is not that of a still particle.

I should probably provide some context; I encounter this issue whenever I have to program some solution to the Schrodinger equation.

Schroedinger is non-relativistic so you can: you're assuming the gamma factor is very close to 1, so the eV mass unit is to be seen as a natural units convention instead of as a full-fledged relativistic approach. Read a booklet on natural units if you need to. If you tried to introduce the gamma factor you'd have to use the Dirac equation to be consistent, but then the rest mass is the one appearing in the Dirac equation.

First of all that's indeed a non-relativistic energy-momentum relation, i.e., ##E## should be the kinetic energy of your particle. Then ##p=\sqrt{2mE}## is the magnitude of the particle's momentum and ##k=p/\hbar## is the wave number and ##\lambda=2\pi/k## the de Broglie wavelength. The mass in modern physics is always the invariant mass of the particle. The socalled relativistic mass shouldn't be used anymore anyway, but that's another story.

Further, if written in correct equations, physics is independent of the system of units used (one has to be careful in electrodynamics, where various different systems of units are in use: SI (very unpleasant for theoretical physics but common in experimental physics and because it's the official system of units), Gaussian and Heaviside-Lorentz units, which differ only in the appearance or non-appearance of factors ##4 \pi## in Maxwell's equations).

The usual system of units in high-energy physics is to use MeV or GeV for particle masses (then giving ##E_0=m c^2## of course) and fm for lengths and fm/c for times, where fm=femto metres=fermi=##10^{-15} \; \mathrm{m}##.

It's most convenient to set ##\hbar=c=1## ("natural units"). The only quantity you need to remember then is ##\hbar c \simeq 0.197 \; \mathrm{GeV} \mathrm{fm} = 197 \; \mathrm{MeV} \mathrm{fm}##. In this units it's very simple to work with, because masses, energies and momenta all have the same units. Usually one uses MeV or GeV.

For your example: Say, we look at an electron. It's mass in natural units is ##m=0.511 \; \mathrm{MeV}##. Now let's look at a non-relativistic electron with a kinetic energy ##E=10 \; \mathrm{keV}=10^{-2} \; \mathrm{MeV}##. Then the momentum is
$$p=\sqrt{2 m E}=\sqrt{2\cdot 0.511 \cdot 10^{-2}} \; \mathrm{MeV} \simeq 0.101 \; \mathrm{MeV}.$$
The wavenumber then is given by
$$k=0.101 \mathrm{MeV}/(0.197 \; \mathrm{MeV} \mathrm{fm}) \simeq 0.513/\mathrm{fm}.$$

Last edited:
Likes Avatrin
Okay, I think I get it. Thank you all for your answers!

Related to Mass in eV over speed of light

1. What is the significance of expressing mass in eV over the speed of light?

Expressing mass in eV over the speed of light is a way to measure mass in terms of energy and a universal constant, the speed of light. It allows for a more precise and consistent way of comparing the masses of different particles and objects.

2. How is mass in eV over the speed of light calculated?

The formula for calculating mass in eV over the speed of light is: mass in eV / (speed of light)^2. This formula is derived from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mass in eV over the speed of light?

The unit of measurement for mass in eV over the speed of light is eV/c^2, where eV stands for electron volts and c is the speed of light. This unit is commonly used in particle physics and is equivalent to kg/m^2.

4. How is mass in eV over the speed of light different from traditional units of mass?

Mass in eV over the speed of light is a unit of measurement that takes into account both mass and energy, while traditional units of mass (such as kilograms or pounds) only measure the amount of matter in an object. Additionally, mass in eV over the speed of light is a more precise and consistent way of measuring mass, especially when dealing with particles and objects that have extremely small or large masses.

5. What are some real-world applications of expressing mass in eV over the speed of light?

One major application of expressing mass in eV over the speed of light is in particle accelerators, where scientists study the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It is also commonly used in astrophysics to measure the masses of stars and galaxies. Additionally, the concept of mass in eV over the speed of light is essential in nuclear energy and the study of nuclear reactions.