Mass hanging by spring tracing a eight shaped curve

In summary, the question asks to find the force constant in terms of mass, spring length, and acceleration due to gravity for a mass on a spring executing up and down vibrations while swinging back and forth as a pendulum in a figure-eight pattern. The solution involves recognizing the relationship between the frequencies of oscillations for the two types of motion and using it to find the force constant in terms of the given variables.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A mass ##m## on the end of a light spring of force constant ##k## stretches the spring to a length ##l## when at rest. The mass is now set into motion so it executes up and down vibrations while swinging back and forth as a pendulum. The mass moves in a figure-eight pattern in a vertical plane, as shown in the figure. Find the force constant in terms of ##m##,##l## and ##g##.

(Ans: k=4mg/l )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I noticed that the curve traced by the hanging mass is of the form ##r^2=a\cos(2\theta)## with the mass ##m## being at the origin at ##t=0##. But I don't think this is going to help. This is a question from one of my practice sheets and I doubt I need to deal with polar curves which aren't generally taught in high school.

How do I approach this problem? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• spring eight figure pattern.jpg
    spring eight figure pattern.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it traces out a figure eight that would suggest that one oscillation is twice what the other oscillation is so maybe you can factor that into your solution.

Likes 1 person
Lets me think of Lissajous figures. For a figure 8 the frequencies of oscillations are 1:2. In this case the up-down oscillations are twice those of the pendulum motion. Not sure this helps or is relevant though.

Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
Since it traces out a figure eight that would suggest that one oscillation is twice what the other oscillation is so maybe you can factor that into your solution.

Ah yes, thanks a lot jedishrfu! :)

$$2\times 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}$$
$$\Rightarrow k=\frac{4mg}{l}$$

I think the springs' frequency of oscillations is twice that of the pendulum in this case.

Related to Mass hanging by spring tracing a eight shaped curve

What is "Mass hanging by spring tracing a eight shaped curve?"

"Mass hanging by spring tracing a eight shaped curve" is a physics experiment that involves suspending a mass from a spring and allowing it to move in a circular motion, tracing out a figure-eight pattern.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the relationship between the mass, spring constant, and frequency of oscillation in a simple harmonic motion system.

What equipment is needed for this experiment?

To perform this experiment, you will need a spring, a mass, a support stand, a stopwatch, and a ruler or measuring tape to measure the amplitude of the oscillations.

What factors affect the motion of the mass?

The motion of the mass is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the initial displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

What can be learned from this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the principles of simple harmonic motion and how different factors affect the motion of an object in such a system. It can also be used to calculate the spring constant and the period of oscillation for a given mass and spring system.