In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a quarter disc with a given areal density and radius. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using different methods, with the final solution being found through a mistake in the area element for polar coordinates. The correct solution is 8.55 g.
Grace Pseudonym

Homework Statement

A quarter disc of radius 3 cm lies in the first quadrant. The areal density is (1.2 g/cm3)x + (0.7 g/cm3)y. Determine the mass of this object.

Homework Equations

1_1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For my bounds:
x: 0 to 3
y: 0 to Sqrt[3 - x^2]

2_1.png

When I took this integral I got 2.07846 + 5.87878 I, which is obviously an imaginary number. Any idea how to get a real number? I'm not sure where I'm going wrong-- I thought this was simple calculus 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: I have converted to polar coordinates, giving density = 1.2 r Cos[theta]+ 0.7 r Sin[theta]. Then I solved the following integral:

3_1.png

This gave me 8.55 g which was incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

Your bound for y is wrong, draw a diagram with your bounds (e.g. y as a function of x) and you'll see that's not the bounds of a circle quadrant. Hint: the relation is x^2 + y^2 = 3^2

Likes Grace Pseudonym
Emily Herschbein said:
UPDATE: I have converted to polar coordinates, giving density = 1.2 r Cos[theta]+ 0.7 r Sin[theta]. Then I solved the following integral:

3_1.png

This gave me 8.55 g which was incorrect. Where am I going wrong?
If you check the units of your expression, you'll see that they don't work out. Your mistake is in the area element for polar coordinates.

Likes Grace Pseudonym
UPDATE NO. 2:

I figured it out.

they.png

Thank you everyone for your help :)

You stumbled onto the correct answer, but your work isn't correct.

Related to Mass Given Density Function and Area

1. What is a mass given density function?

A mass given density function is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between the mass of a substance and its density. It is typically used to calculate the mass of a substance given its density and volume.

2. How is a mass given density function different from a regular density function?

A regular density function only describes the relationship between density and volume, while a mass given density function also takes into account the mass of the substance. This allows for more accurate calculations of mass given a known density and volume.

3. How is a mass given density function used in the real world?

A mass given density function is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to calculate the mass of a substance in various scenarios. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing and construction to determine the amount of material needed for a project.

4. Can a mass given density function be used for all substances?

No, a mass given density function is specific to a particular substance or material. Each substance has its own unique density, so a different mass given density function would need to be used for each substance.

5. How is area related to mass given density function?

Area is not directly related to a mass given density function. However, the concept of density can also be applied to two-dimensional objects, in which case area would be used instead of volume. In this scenario, a mass given density function would describe the relationship between the mass and area of the object.