Mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom?

In summary, the question asks how many electrons would be needed to have a mass equivalent to that of a hydrogen atom. Using the given masses, dividing the mass of the hydrogen atom by the mass of an electron yields a result of 1.835x10^3, or 1835 electrons. This is the correct answer.
littlkj5

Homework Statement

If the mass of a hydrogen atom is 1.67*10-27kg and the mass of an electron is 9.1*10-31kh, how many electrons would be required to have a mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing them into each other but I got some weird answer which didn't seem like it was right.

Physics news on Phys.org
littlkj5 said:

Homework Statement

If the mass of a hydrogen atom is 1.67*10-27kg and the mass of an electron is 9.1*10-31kh, how many electrons would be required to have a mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing them into each other but I got some weird answer which didn't seem like it was right.

What did you get that was weird?

1.835x10^(-28)

littlkj5 said:
1.835x10^(-28)

The 1.835 looks OK.

But 10-27/10-31 = 104 and then there is the 10-1 from the division itself.

I wonder what I did wrong.

So you are saying it is 1.835x10^3

littlkj5 said:
I wonder what I did wrong.

So you are saying it is 1.835x10^3

I'm not saying it.

The math is.

I really don't know what I did that was wrong. The answer I submited was 1835 which was correct. I appreciate the help on such a simple question.

I took math up to calc so I should have figured that out. . . sad. . .

Related to Mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom?

1. What is the mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom?

The mass equivalent to one hydrogen atom is approximately 1.008 atomic mass units (u) or 1.673×10^-27 kilograms (kg).

2. How does the mass of a hydrogen atom compare to other elements?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is the lightest among all elements on the periodic table. It is approximately 1/12th the mass of a carbon atom and 1/1836th the mass of an electron.

3. Can the mass of a hydrogen atom vary?

Yes, the mass of a hydrogen atom can vary slightly depending on the isotope. The most common isotope, protium, has a mass of 1.008 u, while the other two isotopes, deuterium and tritium, have masses of 2.014 u and 3.016 u, respectively.

4. How is the mass of a hydrogen atom measured?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is measured using a unit called atomic mass unit (u). This unit is defined as 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom. The mass of a hydrogen atom is also commonly measured in kilograms (kg) in scientific calculations.

5. Why is the mass of a hydrogen atom important in chemistry and physics?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is important in chemistry and physics because it is used as a reference point for measuring the masses of other atoms and molecules. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the behavior and properties of elements and compounds in chemical reactions and physical processes.