Mass-energy equivalence and how it relates to the content of the universe

In summary, the big bang created everything, and through mass-energy conversion, energy exists in everything.
smulc
I've always been interested in Physics so have finally decided to do a Physics degree. I've been reading various things to help prepare myself and have just been reading about the laws of thermodynamics and mass-energy equivalence. As I'm reading through different articles about these subjects I've been surprised at the lack of mention about how this relates to the total mass-energy in the universe.

It's my understanding that everything that exists, right down to the atoms in our bones came from the energy that was released in the big bang. Over time as the universe cooled, some of this energy became sub atomic particles, then atoms were born. So essentially through mass-energy conversion the energy that existed back then exists in everything around us. So, for example, following this keyboard back through time would show that every part of it was in existence back then but obviously in different form. Am I understanding this right? Most of what I've been reading seems to relate to things on a much smaller scale so I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting things or if what I'm thinking about relates to a completely different theory.

It's probably a silly question but I'm still learning.

Space news on Phys.org
You are correct, everything you see around you was present at the big bang. It's just the configuration that has changed.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Is this process solely down to mass-energy conversion or does it relate to any other theorys? Like I said previously I've been reading about this theory but found very little mention of how it relates to the universe. Is it just not mentioned because it's obvious or could I find more information about it in a slightly different subject?

smulc said:
Thanks for clarifying that.

Is this process solely down to mass-energy conversion or does it relate to any other theorys? Like I said previously I've been reading about this theory but found very little mention of how it relates to the universe. Is it just not mentioned because it's obvious or could I find more information about it in a slightly different subject?

Thermodynamics and entropy might be good places to start.

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a degree in Physics! It's a fascinating field and it's great that you're already diving into different topics and trying to make connections.

You are absolutely correct in your understanding of mass-energy equivalence and its relation to the content of the universe. The famous equation E=mc^2, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another. This means that all the matter in the universe, including the atoms in our bones, is essentially made up of energy that was released during the Big Bang.

As you mentioned, as the universe cooled, the high-energy particles present in the early universe began to form subatomic particles, which eventually led to the formation of atoms. So, in a sense, everything in the universe can be traced back to the energy released during the Big Bang.

Your analogy of following a keyboard back through time is a good way to think about it. Every part of the keyboard, even the atoms that make it up, can be traced back to the energy present during the Big Bang. This concept is not limited to just the keyboard, but to everything in the universe.

In terms of your question about the lack of mention of this in articles about the laws of thermodynamics, it could be because mass-energy equivalence is a fundamental concept in physics and is often taken for granted or assumed to be understood. However, it is an important concept to keep in mind when studying the laws of thermodynamics as they also rely on the conservation of energy.

Overall, your understanding is correct and it's great that you're thinking about these connections. Keep exploring and asking questions, that's what being a scientist is all about!

Related to Mass-energy equivalence and how it relates to the content of the universe

Question 1: What is mass-energy equivalence?

Mass-energy equivalence is the principle proposed by Albert Einstein in his famous equation, E=mc^2, which states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable. This means that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

Question 2: How does mass-energy equivalence relate to the content of the universe?

This principle is important in understanding the content of the universe because it explains the relationship between matter and energy. It helps us understand how energy can be released from matter, such as in nuclear reactions, and how matter can be created from energy, as in the Big Bang theory.

Question 3: Can mass be completely converted into energy?

According to the principle of mass-energy equivalence, mass can be completely converted into energy. However, this process requires extremely high amounts of energy and is not something that can be easily achieved in our everyday lives.

Question 4: How does mass-energy equivalence impact our understanding of the universe?

Mass-energy equivalence is a fundamental principle in physics and has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It explains the source of energy in stars, the process of nuclear fusion, and the creation of matter in the early universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as nuclear power and atomic bombs.

Question 5: Is the conservation of mass and energy still valid with mass-energy equivalence?

Yes, the conservation of mass and energy is still valid with mass-energy equivalence. This principle simply states that the total amount of mass and energy in a closed system remains constant. Mass and energy may change form, but the total amount remains the same.