Mass defect and binding energy

In summary, the difference between the mass of one oxygen atom and the sum of the masses of its parts is approx. 2.27 x 10^-28 kg. The binding energy that holds an oxygen atom together is 1.2 x 10^4 eV.
brake4country

Homework Statement

The difference between the mass of one oxygen atom and the sum of the masses of its parts is approx. 2.27 x 10^-28 kg. What is the binding energy that holds an oxygen atom together? (The charge on one electron is 1.6x10^-19 C).

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with listing my knowns:
mass = 2.27 x 10^-28 kg
E = what we're solving for
c = 3 x 10^8 m/s

E = (2.27 x 10^-28)(3.8 x 10^8)^2
18.54 x 10^-14 = 1.85 x 10^-15 J

To convert Joules to eV, I divide by the charge on one electron:
(1.85 x 10^-15)/(1.6 x 10^-19) = 1.2 x 10^4 eV.

My book says it's 1.2 x 10^8 eV but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:

Homework Statement

The difference between the mass of one oxygen atom and the sum of the masses of its parts is approx. 2.27 x 10^-28 kg. What is the binding energy that holds an oxygen atom together? (The charge on one electron is 1.6x10^-19 C).

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

mass = 2.27 x 10^-28 kg
c = 3 x 10^8 m/s

Your formulas are correct, but you need to double check your arithmetic.

In your calculation of E, you have written c = 3.8×108 m/s, instead of 3×108 m/s

My calculation of E gets a different number of joules. I think once you have calculated the correct value for E, your problems will disappear.

I think you have the right idea, except something seems to be going awry with your arithmetic.

brake4country said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

mass = 2.27 x 10^-28 kg
c = 3 x 10^8 m/s

wait, where did the 3.8 × 108 figure come from?
That answer seems to be different whether you used 3.8 × 108 or 3.0 × 108.

So you should check your calculations again on that one.

I got 1.2 × 108 eV, ignoring a little rounding difference.

[Edit: SteamKing beat me to the response. :woot:]

Last edited:
Ah yes, the error with ^-28 and ^16. That was just careless but thank you both for finding that! I got 1.2 x 10^8 as my final answer. (Also, 3.8 x 10^8 was a typo).

Related to Mass defect and binding energy

1. What is mass defect?

Mass defect refers to the difference between the mass of an atom's nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons. This difference is due to the conversion of some of the mass into energy during the formation of the nucleus.

2. How is mass defect related to binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to break apart a nucleus into its individual protons and neutrons. This energy is equivalent to the mass defect, as the missing mass is converted into energy that holds the nucleus together.

3. What is the significance of mass defect and binding energy?

Mass defect and binding energy play a crucial role in nuclear reactions and the stability of atoms. The release of energy through the conversion of mass into energy is what powers nuclear reactions, such as in nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. Additionally, the stability of an atom is determined by the balance between its mass and binding energy.

4. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using the equation E = mc², where E is the energy, m is the mass defect, and c is the speed of light. This equation was derived from Einstein's famous theory of relativity, which states that mass and energy are interchangeable.

5. Can binding energy be negative?

Yes, binding energy can be negative. This occurs when the mass of the nucleus is greater than the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons. In this case, energy must be added to the nucleus to break it apart, resulting in a negative binding energy.