Mass and velocity, thank you for your help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "relativistic mass" and its relation to kinetic energy and the equation E=mc^2 in special relativity theory. It is mentioned that relativistic mass is a less commonly used concept in modern physics and that kinetic energy is treated as part of an object's rest mass in this theory.
UglyNakedGuy
Dear all,

I am a lover in astrophyics, however, I have not got much knowledge in it. Recently, I read a book and it says " the mass (of an object) increases as its velocity goes up", I don't think my brain works for this sentence...

I seem to remember that P=M*V, so literally, if velocity increases mass should decrease?

Please don't laugh and enlighten me :P

Physics news on Phys.org
p=m*v is from Newtonian mechanics whereas the statement on increasing mass with increasing speed is related to special relativity theory and applicable for speeds approaching the speed of light.

so may I know the equation for p under SR? thank you for your reply :)

This is the concept of "relativistic mass" which was once quite popular but rarely used nowadays amongst professional physicists, who prefer to stick with a non-varying "rest mass".

I hope you are familiar with the concept of kinetic energy -- "the energy (of an object) increases as its velocity goes up" -- and also with E = mc2 relating mass to energy. The idea of relativistic mass was to treat kinetic energy as part of an object's mass

In relativity we have momentum p and energy E given by[tex]\begin{align}
\textbf{p} &= \frac{m\textbf{v}}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} \\
E &= \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}
\end{align}[/tex]where m is rest mass. Relativistic mass was[tex]
\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}
[/tex]

DrGreg said:
This is the concept of "relativistic mass" which was once quite popular but rarely used nowadays amongst professional physicists, who prefer to stick with a non-varying "rest mass".

I hope you are familiar with the concept of kinetic energy -- "the energy (of an object) increases as its velocity goes up" -- and also with E = mc2 relating mass to energy. The idea of relativistic mass was to treat kinetic energy as part of an object's mass

I see, so that's actually a algebra thing?

(for my own understanding , sorry if I am wrong) the energy of an object and its V have a positive correlation, so E goes up when speed goes up.

and then, since E=mc^2, and c is constant ( assume in vaccum) so we relate E with c .

is this correct?

thank you !

if you set v=0 then you get the famous e=mc^2, the energy at rest from the equations above.

Related to Mass and velocity, thank you for your help

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is often measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is often measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. How are mass and velocity related?

Mass and velocity are related in the concept of momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In simpler terms, an object with a greater mass and/or velocity will have a greater momentum.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on that object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

5. How do mass and velocity affect an object's kinetic energy?

An object's kinetic energy is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as an object's mass and/or velocity increase, its kinetic energy will also increase.