Mass and Center of Mass for a Lamina with Variable Density and Given Points

In summary, to find the mass and center of mass of a lamina, use the following equation:ρ=kplot the given points, and use the density function, $\rho$, to find the mass and center of mass.
harpazo
Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina for the indicated density.

R: (0, 0), (a, 0), (0, b), (a, b)

ρ = k

I know the formula to find the mass and center of mass.

My problem is twofold:

1. Finding the limits of integration for the inner and outer integrals considering the fact that the given points include letters a and b. How on Earth am I to graph the given points to help me reach my goal here?

2. I am confused about k. Above we see rho = k. Is k the density function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina for the indicated density.

R: (0, 0), (a, 0), (0, b), (a, b)

ρ = k

I know the formula to find the mass and center of mass.

My problem is twofold:

1. Finding the limits of integration for the inner and outer integrals considering the fact that the given points include letters a and b. How on Earth am I to graph the given points to help me reach my goal here?

I would plot the four points above, and see what shape is the result.

Harpazo said:
2. I am confused about k. Above we see rho = k. Is k the density function?

$\rho$ is the density function (although, as per my other post, I prefer $\sigma$ for an area density). Since $\rho=k$, the density is constant.

Ackbach said:
I would plot the four points above, and see what shape is the result.
$\rho$ is the density function (although, as per my other post, I prefer $\sigma$ for an area density). Since $\rho=k$, the density is constant.

How do I graph points that include variables in place of actual number?

Harpazo said:
How do I graph points that include variables in place of actual number?

Well, on your horizontal and vertical scales, instead of putting numbers, put the letters $a$ and $b$. I would assume they're both positive numbers, by the way.

Ackbach said:
Well, on your horizontal and vertical scales, instead of putting numbers, put the letters $a$ and $b$. I would assume they're both positive numbers, by the way.

Can you set up the double integrals? I can take it from there.

You don't need to integrate anything. Your figure is a rectangle and the density is a constant. The mass is that constant times the area of the rectangle, kab. The center of mass is the center point of the rectangle, (a/2, b/2).

HallsofIvy said:
You don't need to integrate anything. Your figure is a rectangle and the density is a constant. The mass is that constant times the area of the rectangle, kab. The center of mass is the center point of the rectangle, (a/2, b/2).

I want to practice double integrals. Can you set the double integrals for me?

To find the mass (using the calculus), we use:

\(\displaystyle m=kb\int_0^a\,dx=kab\)

For the center of mass, denoted by the coordinates $(\overline{x},\overline{y})$, we use:

\(\displaystyle \overline{x}=\frac{k}{m}\iint\limits_{R}x\,dA=\frac{1}{ab}\int_0^b\int_0^a x\,dx\,dy=\frac{a}{2b}\int_0^b\,dy=\frac{a}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{y}=\frac{k}{m}\iint\limits_{R}y\,dA=\frac{1}{ab}\int_0^by\int_0^a\,dx\,dy=\frac{1}{b}\int_0^b y\,dy=\frac{b}{2}\)

MarkFL said:
To find the mass (using the calculus), we use:

\(\displaystyle m=kb\int_0^a\,dx=kab\)
In excruciating detail, \(\displaystyle m= \int_0^a\int_0^b k dydx= k\int_0^a\int_0^b dy dx= k\int_0^a \left[y\right]_0^b dx= k\int_0^a b dx= kb\int_0^a dx= kb\left[x\right]_0^a= kab\).

Thank you.

Related to Mass and Center of Mass for a Lamina with Variable Density and Given Points

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a scalar quantity and is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, whereas weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of the environment.

3. What is center of mass?

The center of mass is the point within an object or system that moves as if all of the object's or system's mass were concentrated at that point. It is also the point at which an object is perfectly balanced in all directions.

4. How is center of mass different from center of gravity?

Center of mass and center of gravity are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. The center of mass is the point at which an object is perfectly balanced, while the center of gravity is the point at which the force of gravity is considered to act on the object. In most cases, these two points are very close or even identical.

5. How is center of mass important in physics?

The concept of center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects and systems. It allows us to simplify complex systems and consider them as a single point with a mass and position. It also helps in calculating the rotational motion of objects and predicting their behavior under external forces.