Mass addition due to gravitational acceleration

In summary, the article talked about how supermassive black holes can have a mass gain of 100 million kg per kg at 98% the speed of light. If this is true, it would mean that an object with more kinetic energy than potential energy would have the ability to escape from the black hole.
Anthony24
I read an article about super massive black holes that are millions a billion times larger than our sun. In reading this article i began thinking about gravitational acceleration and what the effects would be on incoming objects. I ran through a bunch of equations and found that the mass gain would be over 100 million kg per kg at 98% the speed of light. My questions are: Does time dilation change the energy in a system K.E=.5mv^2 (as this would change mass addition), and does E=mc^2 still apply to gravitational acceleration since it is just the bending of space time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anthony24, welcome to PF!

Energy is notoriously difficult to handle in GR, but in certain scenarios it does make sense: see http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

In the case of a supermassive black hole as something falls in it loses PE and gains KE so the total energy of the system is unchanged.

Wow thank you so much for that, i had not put together to relation between potential energy and kinetic energy in the system. That answers my question perfectly and nullifies some pages of math work :( oh well, thanks a bunch!

Okay if this is true then where does potential energy end and begin? It stands to reason that we also have the potential to be pulled toward any object in the universe. Would that not mean we have an infinite amount of potential energy? Please forgive my lack of familiarity with this concept.

The PE does not end or begin at a certain location, but because of the way that the math works it turns out to be finite anyway. It is therefore possible for an object to have more kinetic energy than potential energy, the speed corresponding to the kinetic energy which would be exactly equal to the potential energy is called escape velocity.

Related to Mass addition due to gravitational acceleration

1. What is mass addition due to gravitational acceleration?

Mass addition due to gravitational acceleration is the phenomenon by which an object's mass increases as it moves towards a massive object, such as the Earth. This is due to the gravitational force between the two objects.

2. How does gravitational acceleration affect mass addition?

Gravitational acceleration affects mass addition by pulling the object towards the massive object with a constant force. As the object gets closer to the massive object, the force of gravity increases, resulting in an increase in mass.

3. Does mass addition due to gravitational acceleration apply to all objects?

Yes, mass addition due to gravitational acceleration applies to all objects with mass. However, the effect is more noticeable for larger masses and at shorter distances.

4. Can mass addition due to gravitational acceleration be reversed?

No, mass addition due to gravitational acceleration cannot be reversed. Once an object's mass has increased due to gravitational force, it will remain that way unless it moves away from the massive object.

5. How is mass addition due to gravitational acceleration related to weight?

Mass addition due to gravitational acceleration is directly related to weight. The weight of an object is the force of gravity acting on its mass, so as an object's mass increases, so does its weight.