Marx Generator Capacitance and Charge Storing Question

In summary, the conversation is about the capabilities of a Marx generator and its purpose. The generator multiplies voltage by cascading capacitor discharges and is capable of storing charge if there are adequate cap-to-cap switches and insulation. The spark gap switch is used to discharge the series connected capacitors through the load. The nonlinear properties of the arc help shape the waveform of the discharge. A recommendation for a good book on the topic is also requested.
JAlexander
Hello,

I have had a question on my mind that a generic google search has so far been unable to answer for me. I know that marx generators multiple voltage by cascading capacitor discharges so that you get a final voltage of n x Vinit - where n is number of capacitors and Vinit is your initial voltage.

In all videos and discussions I have seen, that final voltage gets discharged across the final capacitors - implying that just as the initial capacitors discharged, the final capacitors must also discharge in like manner.

My question is, if you did not want a final discharge, but instead wanted to store charge, is a marx generator capable of doing this? Or must the final capacitors discharge after cascading through the initial capacitors?

In other words, If I have two parallel plates rather than the little balls that you see for the final capacitors, and my final voltage at the end of n x Vint equals 20KV, can those parallel plates store the charge or no?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mistake the purpose of the pairs of spheres. These are not capacitors, but a switch. The generator charges the capacitors in parallel, then these are connected in series across the load via the pair of balls. These balls form a spark gap. One if them might be attached to a swing arm or some other device, used to enable an arc to form between them. This arc then discharges the series connected capacitors through the load. The nonlinear properties of the arc help to shape the waveform if the discharge.
The spark gap switch is used because a regular switch would be damaged by the high violtages and currents involved in the discharge.

JAlexander said:
My question is, if you did not want a final discharge, but instead wanted to store charge, is a marx generator capable of doing this?

Yes it is (if you have adequate cap-to-cap switches and insulation level everywhere)

Thanks for the info, zoki. That is what I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the topic of marx generators? Google searches aren't really cutting it.

-Thanks

Related to Marx Generator Capacitance and Charge Storing Question

1. What is a Marx Generator?

A Marx Generator is a type of high-voltage pulse generator that uses a series of capacitors and spark gaps to produce a high-voltage output. It was invented by Erwin Otto Marx in 1924.

2. How does a Marx Generator work?

A Marx Generator works by charging a series of capacitors in parallel and then discharging them in series through spark gaps. This creates a high-voltage pulse that can be used for various applications such as particle accelerators and high-energy physics experiments.

3. What is the role of capacitance in a Marx Generator?

Capacitance is a crucial component of a Marx Generator as it stores the electrical charge needed to produce the high-voltage pulse. The total capacitance of the capacitors used determines the output voltage of the generator.

4. How is the charge stored in a Marx Generator?

The charge is stored in the capacitors of the Marx Generator by applying a high-voltage power supply. The capacitors are connected in parallel and charged to the desired voltage, which can range from a few kilovolts to several megavolts, depending on the application.

5. What are the safety considerations when working with a Marx Generator?

Marx Generators can produce extremely high voltages and should only be operated by trained professionals. Safety measures such as proper grounding, protective equipment, and proper insulation should always be taken to avoid electrical shocks and other hazards.