Mars Atmosphere And Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of terraforming Mars and the challenges involved in creating an atmosphere and generating a magnetic field to protect the planet. There is debate about whether it is even feasible to create an atmosphere on Mars due to its small size and lack of gravity. Additionally, generating a magnetic field of sufficient strength would require a massive amount of energy and may not be sustainable in the long term. However, some suggest that jumpstarting Mars' core could potentially sustain a magnetic field and help maintain an atmosphere. Another idea is to let the Sun help generate a magnetic field, as seen in a paper discussing Venus. Overall, there are many obstacles to overcome in terraforming Mars and it is still a topic of ongoing research and discussion.
mjacobsca
So often I see shows on TV discussing the seemingly inevitable terraforming of Mars by humans. These shows generally talk about the challenges in creating an atmosphere (basically, heating up the frozen carbon dioxide to release greenhouse gases), thereafter releasing all of Mars' water, and eventually oxygen. However, from my reading I thought it was generally believed that Mars' small size and limited gravity made it very difficult for it to hold onto an atmosphere. If this is true, then why would we even waste time creating an atmosphere at all? Wouldn't it just be a waste of time?

Secondly, Mars has no magnetic field to protect it from solar flares and CME's and from cosmic rays and other sources of radiation from outer space. This point is always glossed over by popular science shows as a "minor" hurdle. However, it seems major to me. Therefore, my second question is whether it is possible to artificially generate a magnetic field big enough to protect an entire planet the size of Mars. If so, how might one generate such a field? Is it even possible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The atmosphere would take a long time to be lost. It would not happen in just a few years.

Generating a magnetic field of sufficient strength over such a large area is...difficult...to say the least. It would require a very large amount of power. I don't know how much though. Probably much more than we could feasibly achieve in the near future. And that's ignoring how you would generate it in the first place.

Pretty much we couldn't indefinitely fuel an artificially magnetic field that size. However they assume Mars had its own magnetic field at one point, so if we could "jump start" the core of Mars then it could sustain its own field. Also doing that would better hold ionized atmospheric particles (I think) such as ozone and whatnot.

d0wn10w said:
Pretty much we couldn't indefinitely fuel an artificially magnetic field that size. However they assume Mars had its own magnetic field at one point, so if we could "jump start" the core of Mars then it could sustain its own field. Also doing that would better hold ionized atmospheric particles (I think) such as ozone and whatnot.

While that may be plausible, it is far from feasible. The amount of energy required would be absolutely enormous.

Related to Mars Atmosphere And Magnetic Field

1. What is the atmosphere like on Mars?

The atmosphere on Mars is primarily composed of carbon dioxide, with small amounts of nitrogen, argon, and oxygen. It is much thinner than Earth's atmosphere, with a surface pressure less than 1% of Earth's.

2. Does Mars have a magnetic field?

Yes, Mars does have a magnetic field, but it is much weaker than Earth's. It is believed to be a remnant of a once stronger field, and is only present in certain regions of the planet.

3. How does the atmosphere on Mars affect the planet's climate?

The thin atmosphere on Mars means that the planet is unable to retain much heat from the sun, resulting in very cold temperatures. However, the atmosphere also allows for significant temperature variations, with warm days and cold nights.

4. Can humans breathe on Mars?

No, the atmosphere on Mars is not suitable for human breathing. The low oxygen levels and high amounts of carbon dioxide would be toxic to humans. A specialized suit and breathing equipment would be necessary for humans to survive on Mars.

5. How does Mars' lack of a strong magnetic field affect the planet?

The weak magnetic field on Mars means that the planet is not well protected from solar winds and radiation. This has resulted in the gradual loss of the planet's atmosphere over time. It also means that Mars does not have the protection necessary to sustain life as we know it.