Markov property and chemical oscillators

In summary, the speaker is questioning whether chemical oscillators violate the conditions required for Markov chain stationarity. They have noticed that while chemical reaction systems are typically considered to have the Markov property, it is also possible to set up a Monte Carlo simulation that shows bulk oscillations. They are wondering if this means that chemical oscillators do not approach a stationary distribution and are seeking more information on the topic.
cjolley
Hi everybody...

I've been working a bit with models of chemical oscillators and I've run into something that isn't quite clear to me.

Chemical reaction systems are typically regarded as having the Markov property -- they lack memory and their evolution depends only on their current state. Under a not-too-restrictive set of conditions, Markov chains will have a stationary distribution: the basic requirement seems to be that any state be reachable from any other in a finite number of steps. This seems like something that will generally be true for chemical systems, at least on the lattice of stoichiometrically-compatible states.

Here's where this starts to bother me: it's also fairly easy to set up a Monte Carlo simulation of a chemical reaction system that shows bulk oscillations. Do chemical oscillators somehow violate the conditions required for Markov chain stationarity? Or am I comparing apples and oranges here? This seems like a reasonable question, but an hour or so of poking around on the internet has turned up nothing directly relevant.

Thanks!

--craig

Physics news on Phys.org
"There is a stationary distribution" and "everything will approach a stationary distribution" are two completely different things. In addition, I think even those chemical oscillators will approach an equilibrium after a while.

Related to Markov property and chemical oscillators

1. What is the Markov property in relation to chemical oscillators?

The Markov property is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a system based on its current state, regardless of its previous states. In chemical oscillators, this means that the future behavior of the system is only dependent on its current state and not on its past states.

2. How does the Markov property apply to chemical reactions in oscillating systems?

In chemical oscillators, the Markov property can be applied to predict the concentrations of reactants and products at any given time based on their current concentrations. This is because the future behavior of the system is assumed to be independent of its previous states.

3. Can the Markov property be violated in chemical oscillators?

Yes, in certain cases, the Markov property can be violated in chemical oscillators. This can happen when the system is highly sensitive to initial conditions, or when there are multiple concurrent reactions happening in the system.

4. How does the Markov property affect the stability of chemical oscillators?

The Markov property can affect the stability of chemical oscillators by determining the rate at which the system reaches equilibrium. In systems with a strong Markov property, the equilibrium is reached quickly, while in systems with a weaker Markov property, the equilibrium may take longer to be reached.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Markov property in chemical oscillators?

Yes, the Markov property has been used in various real-world applications involving chemical oscillators, such as in the study of biological systems, chemical reactions, and even financial markets. It has also been used in the development of mathematical models for predicting and controlling the behavior of chemical oscillators.