Markov Chain as a function of dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses an animation created in R using a Markov chain of order 50. The speaker is trying to explain the clustering and flattening out of the data as the dimensions of the vector space increase. They mention that they have tested this with larger dimensions and it seems to reach a steady state. They also mention a plot showing incremental changes in a Euclidean metric and question if the data being extremely spread out in higher dimensions would affect this plot. The other speaker suggests reading a paper by statisticians Gareth Roberts and Jeff Rosenthal, which explains limit theorems and the convergence of Markov Chains in the context of MCMC algorithms.
FallenApple

Here is an animation I created in R.

I built this Markov chain of order 50 by correlating the information in one of the coordinates while randomly varying the rest. Is there an explanation for the clustering and flattening out over increasing dimensions of the vector space? Is it due to the fact that data becomes spread out over larger dimensions?

But that doesn't explain why the clusters themselves do not spread out or why other clusters condense. I've done this for much larger dimensions and it seems to reach a steady state.

The plot is of the incremental changes in a Euclidean metric vs the input, so I don't know if viewing the data as extremely spread out in higher dimensional space would translate to this plot.

Do this mean that the correlation that I induced in that coordinate is strong enough such that it keeps the cluster together regardless of how high the dimension is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this would answer your question, but statisticians Gareth Roberts (of Lancaster University, later University of Warwick, UK) and Jeff Rosenthal (of the University of Toronto, and a former professor of mine when I was in grad school) wrote a paper summarizing limit theorems for Markov Chains in the context of MCMC algorithms.

https://arxiv.org/abs/math/0404033

I believe the contents of the paper will explain the specific convergence of Markov Chains and the properties of "mixing" in Markov Chains (aka the time when Markov Chains are "close" to its steady state distribution).

Likes FallenApple

Related to Markov Chain as a function of dimensions

1. What is a Markov Chain?

A Markov Chain is a mathematical concept used to model a system that transitions between different states over time. It is a type of stochastic process, meaning that it involves randomness or probability.

2. How does a Markov Chain work?

A Markov Chain works by taking into account the current state of a system and using transition probabilities to determine the likelihood of transitioning to another state in the next time step. This process is repeated over and over, creating a sequence of states.

3. How is the dimension of a Markov Chain determined?

The dimension of a Markov Chain is determined by the number of states in the system. Each state is represented by a node, and the dimension is equal to the number of nodes in the chain.

4. How does the dimension of a Markov Chain affect its behavior?

The dimension of a Markov Chain can affect its behavior in several ways. Generally, a higher dimension means there are more possible states and therefore more complex behavior. Additionally, a higher dimension can also lead to slower convergence and more complex calculations.

5. Can a Markov Chain have an infinite dimension?

Technically, yes, a Markov Chain can have an infinite dimension. This would mean that the system has an infinite number of states, and the transition probabilities between states are continuously changing. However, in practice, most Markov Chains have a finite dimension that is determined by the specific problem being modeled.